cold working cast glass

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry oliver

cold working cast glass

Post by jerry oliver »

can anyone recommend a class for coldworking cast glass that includes equipment, materials and techniques, or an artist with expertise in this area who has a studio and the right equipment who is willing to do some training for me? i can bring some of my pieces to use in the training. it seems like a day or two may be adequate, weekdays or weekends are both ok.

i need to clean up and polish some parts of cast glass pieces from a lost wax refractory mold process, e.g., cutting off the sprue and polishing that area as well as cleaning up occasional blemishes from the casting process. my pieces are abstract and organic shapes, not a flat spot to be found on them.

i live in the san francisco bay area and am willing to travel to a class or an artist's studio in the area or out of state.

please reply with class contact info, or if an artist, location and cost estimate.

thanks

jerry oliver
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

If you can give up a week and want to learn from a master you should look into this class at the Pittspurgh Glass Center with Frantisek Janak of the Czech Republic.

MONDAY JUNE 23 - SATURDAY JUNE 28

ONE WEEK INTENSIVE
Cold Cuts
coldworking
This class will explore basic cold working techniques such as glass cutting and polishing. In addition the class will cover how to use and set up BMK cutting machines, work with different cutting, smoothing and polishing tools and media, cut simple patterns onto the vessel and shape simple glass objects. No previous experience necessary, although students with basic to intermediate class experience will benefit most from this class.

You can see some of his work here: http://www.euran.com/frantisekjanak.htm

http://www.pitssburghglasscenter.org
Monica

class/facilities in SF for CW

Post by Monica »

Public Glass has a cold working class offered May 24th in south San Francisco. (415) 671-4916. Tell David I said "hello".
Delores Taylor

Re: cold working cast glass

Post by Delores Taylor »

jerry oliver wrote: i live in the san francisco bay area and am willing to travel to a class or an artist's studio in the area or out of state.

please reply with class contact info, or if an artist, location and cost estimate.

thanks

jerry oliver
Doug Randall in Portland holds classes he's on the board here and you can check out his schedule and next class session.