Polymer clay as Mold for float glass?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

camaro

Polymer clay as Mold for float glass?

Post by camaro »

Has anyone used or experimented with polymer clay a mold? I was thinking instead of using fiber paper I could get some really great designs with detail using Polymer clay. I want to do detailed graphic type designs such as spirals, stars etc.. Does anyone know if this will work or do I need to use Potter's clay, let it dry, fire it then use it. I thank those that respond in advance.
Camaro :D
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I may be mistaken but I believe polymer clay is a plastic. If you take it to casting temps you will probably get a black sticky stinky mess.

you might be able to use the clay as a positive for a plaster or clay mold (providing there are no undercuts...

B
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Barbara is correct, polymer clay is a plastic that BAKES in a toaster oven (or regular oven) for about 10 minutes at 250-275 degrees depending on brand. Anything over that and it will burn and give off toxic fumes--definitely not the material you want to use for glass molds. As Barbara suggested, try it as the positive and make your own mold from the variety of appropriate materials out there.

Have fun!

Regards,
Ron Coleman

Re: Polymer clay as Mold for float glass?

Post by Ron Coleman »

camaro wrote:Has anyone used or experimented with polymer clay a mold? I was thinking instead of using fiber paper I could get some really great designs with detail using Polymer clay. I want to do detailed graphic type designs such as spirals, stars etc.. Does anyone know if this will work or do I need to use Potter's clay, let it dry, fire it then use it. I thank those that respond in advance.
Camaro :D
Here's a technique from the Magless Swap that Stacey King used to make her Mags. Using Polymer clay as the pattern and then pouring plaster molds.

http://community.webshots.com/album/61929199ZOAcFl

Ron
phil

Post by phil »

My pet peeve in working with glass is mold availability (shapes,etc.) After reading for over a year it suddenly dawned on me to ask the question - When you say pour in plaster, does the plaster need to be fired, as would a clay, greenware, etc. before being used as a mold, or can it be used as is once cured / dried (with wash, etc.) (Looking for simple mold making without firing!?)