The Copyright issue, again

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ron Coleman

The Copyright issue, again

Post by Ron Coleman »

I met a very interesting artist this evening at our local arts guild meeting. She told me she had a website, so I went to see what she had to offer.

Besides some fantastic computer generated Fractal Art, I think she has a very imformative copyright statment on her page. Click on the copyright link at the bottom of the page. Something we all might consider, and note that all her images are watermarked too.

http://alicekelly.com/

I saw one of her printed images and they are fantastic in full color. :shock:

Ron
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

When you say that they are watermarked, are you referring to the Alice Kelley 2002 in the lower right corner?

I had this idea that the image had something imbedded in it that couldn't be cropped off and would show up when (held to the light) printed or transferred or something. Do you know if doing something like that to an image that is put into cyberspace is possible?

I agree that her copyright statement is informative and also asks firmly but nicely not to mess with her stuff in inappropriate ways. Thanks for the link.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Cynthia Oliver wrote:When you say that they are watermarked, are you referring to the Alice Kelley 2002 in the lower right corner?

I had this idea that the image had something imbedded in it that couldn't be cropped off and would show up when (held to the light) printed or transferred or something. Do you know if doing something like that to an image that is put into cyberspace is possible?

I agree that her copyright statement is informative and also asks firmly but nicely not to mess with her stuff in inappropriate ways. Thanks for the link.
There are two different types of watermarks that you can add to images on the web. The visible ones like shown here, and invisible ones that are internal to the picture and only show up if you interrogate the image in windows by looking at the "properties" information of the indiividual files.

An internal watermark can't be removed by croping. Some website service providers are very sensitive to copyrighted information and will delete copyrighted files that don't belong to the site owner.

Ron
Last edited by Ron Coleman on Tue May 20, 2003 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I'm in the process of putting together a web site, and our recent discussion of the issues related to the infringement upon work by Judy and Kevin at Vitrum Studio really opened my eyes. My wife is a visual artist and has recently been quite successful at juried shows. Her work is out on the 'net, and soon mine will be as well. I'm very interested in the embedded watermark process..Is there specific software that modifies a jpg or other graphic file with a watermark?

Cliff
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Cliff.........I haven't worked with this yet, so can't tell you how to do it. My printer software has a watermark capability.

Check your printer utilities for this function. I'm not sure if this is just a visual watermark or if it will imbed into the images.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

There are a number of different approaches.

The simplest is to use Java to disable the right click. This can be broken by someone who really wants the images, but it will will work for many people and would have probably worked in Judy's situation. Here's what it does (try right clicking on an image to copy): http://www.mountainscenes.com
and here's how to do it: http://javascript.internet.com/page-det ... click.html

An alternative approach is with more sophisticated software. There are dozens of companies that offer this software, here are some (many free or with free trials): http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20- ... tg=dl-2001

You can also write the software yourself, but you need to be able to program. Here's one approach: http://www.moonsdesigns.com/tutorials/watermark.html

And there are other ways, as well. A Google search on this topic yields lots more companies and software.
Cliff Swanson

Here's something cool!

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I'm a Mac person and most of the watermarking software seems directed at Windows platforms. I did find a very interesting and credible service that works with Adobe PhotoShop. Go here:

http://www.digimarc.com/products/IMAGEB ... tarted.asp

We did a test with one of Wendy's images watermarked by this process, and the results are quite interesting. Images linked to the Digimarc process can be tracked, and copyright and contact information for the owner become visible to the viewer when an image is opened using Digimarc-enabled applications. This wouldn't necessarily stop a pirate, but the ability for tracking placement of one's images on the web gives an owner the ability to check up on infringement.

Cliff
Phil Hoppes

I've studied this a bit so for those who are interested.....

Post by Phil Hoppes »

The method of putting a copyright, or any other data for that matter, into an image file is a process or science called steganography. If you are interested in more info on the theory behind it here is a link:

http://www.jjtc.com/Steganography/

For those who don't want to read a volume of material I will give you the shorter answer. There are many details I'm going to leave out so those techie's out there please don't go slamming me for ingnoring something. What I will cover are the basic's of how this is accomplished.

A digital picture that has been stored to a file is simply a stream of numbers that describe the color and intensity of each pixel that is in the picture. I will use for an example, a black and white picture that is a resolution 640x480 that has been taken with 8 bit resolution. That picture has 640x480=307200 pixels that describe the picture. The numbers mean 640 pixels or dots per row with 480 rows. The intensity of each pixel is represented by an 8 bit number, which for our example is a value between 0 and 255. For this case lets let 0 mean white and 255 means black. Every other value from 1 to 254 is a "blend" between white and black. When you view a digital picture on a web page the software in your computer reads the picture file, it knows how to sort out the numbers in the proper order and displays your picture.

So how do I add a watermark? Well, the human eye is sensitive but not so much that you can easily determine the difference between an intensity value of 0 and 1. You will definitely see the difference between 0 and 255 but maybe not 0 and 1. Using specially designed software, you can go into a picture file and, in a predetermined manner, go in and change all of the very small numbers by one value. That is to say the software would change a 0 to a 1, or a 1 to a 2. This is done in such a fashion as to encode your message. Let's say for example I want to put the message "Copyright 2003, Phil Hoppes" into my picture. The software first breaks down the text into its numbers. (Computers don't work with letters and characters. All of these are represented by numbers.) The software then uses an algorithm to encode these text characters across all of the minor changes it makes to the picture. For example, I don't remember ASCII code but lets assume C = 003. The software would encode the number 003 across the changes in the first series of bits in the picture that it decided to change.

The point is, text can be added to a picture (or an audio file, or movie file) in such a manner that to the naked eye, the picture has not changed.

Here are a few caviats however. If the physical size of the picture is small compared to the size of the text that is desiered to add, you will completely destroy the picture in the process. For example, if you have a 25K jpg file and you want to add a 50K text message, the software may do it but you won't even recognize the picture. Since a watermark is a very small message (my message above would be only 216 bytes) and picture is say 35K or 35,000 bytes, my message is very small compared to the size of the picture. You could add my message to a picture and not corrupt the image.

Least you all think that this is an absolutly secure way to "mark" your pictures, it is not. There is software that can detect that a watermark has been added to a photo. Depending on the method, it can even remove it and restore the picture back to its original state. Like anything else, this just boils down to time and money.

For 99% of us adding a watermark is probably a good thing in that most casual and probably even a fair number of concentrated crooks may not be aware that you have added a watermark to your picture. You can get software for free that will do it. You can pay (Digimark) to have this done. All versions of Photoshop since I think 5.0 and on will do this and link you to Digimark so you can pay to have this done. You have to assess the risk vs the reward.

Hope this answers a few questions and explains the process.

Phil
dee

Re: The Copyright issue, again

Post by dee »

Ron Coleman wrote:I met a very interesting artist this evening at our local arts guild meeting. She told me she had a website, so I went to see what she had to offer.

Besides some fantastic computer generated Fractal Art, I think she has a very imformative copyright statment on her page. Click on the copyright link at the bottom of the page. Something we all might consider, and note that all her images are watermarked too.

http://alicekelly.com/

I saw one of her printed images and they are fantastic in full color. :shock:

Ron
thanks ron, i LOVE fractal art ;))
and i'll check out the copyright info too ;)
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com