New Booth Sign

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Geri Comstock

Too funny!

Post by Geri Comstock »

On Saturday, I received a package from a member of this board, Tony...LOL. He told me he was sending me something funny in snail mail. I expected a funny magazine article or something, but when I saw this HUGE flat package, I realized that's not what it was.

It was a new booth sign for me, 2 ft long by 1.5 feet wide. On one side it says in beautiful teal lettering with cobalt drop shadows (almost identical to the typeface on my website...Tony, where did you ever find it? LOL). It's wonderfully laid out, which I can't reproduce here:

Comstock
Art
Glass

That's not the funny part. But I WILL use it at shows and see what happens. The other side says the funny stuff. When I read it, I laughed so hard that tears were coming out of my eyes...

Comstock

I'm Geri Comstock

Yes, I know Geri can be a man's name, but it's not spelled the same

Art

I'm a glass artist

Yes, this is art

No, you didn't see the same thing at WalMart

Glass

Yes, it's glass

No, it's not plastic

Yes, I made it myself

Yes, it will break if you drop it

No, it's not free

I can think of a couple of shows I do where the funny side will be the side I use. Whew! Too funny!

Tony, I think you're created a new business opportunity for yourself.

Geri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

One of the advantages of having a vinyl cutting plotter for cutting sandblast resist is that it also does a great job on vinyl sign materials.

I'm glad you like it. I was laughing the whole time it took me to make it.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it before I sent it to you.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Wow. I wondered how you did it! You have great layup skills, too! It's so cool and looks so professional!

David promised to do some photography this weekend for me. I have a zillion new pieces of jewelry for my Egyptian Revival series I want him to photograph before I sell them. Unfortunately, I sold several pieces of this series at my last show before he got to photograph them...ARGH! I want to document these puppies since I may never find duplicates of some of the old glass cabs.

When he does this, I'll ask him to photograph your sign for me. Do you want both sides? Do you want a photo via email mail or a color print via snail mail?

If you want hard copy, email me your snail mail addy.

Thanks again, Tony! It gave me a huge laugh and the funny side will be great for a couple of my shows where people ask me if my work is plastic and other questions which your sign addresses.

Geri
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

Hi I'm new to this board, but not new to the show circuit. I have been doing shows for 14 years. You never really get used to the stupid questions and just when you thing you heard it all, somebody comes up with a more stupid question. I do mosaics that are hung on the grey carpeted panels like the paintings are displayed and I get at least ten to twenty people that will ask me if the light can come through. Anyway I just started doing fusing to add some smaller pieces in the booth. I like the idea of calling it kiln formed.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

luvhug wrote:clip
You never really get used to the stupid questions and just when you thing you heard it all, somebody comes up with a more stupid question.
I have tasted the flavor of my work being ignored: I invite any and all questions, stupid or otherwise. That may change as I become more rich and famous.