Listing dimensions of a piece dilemma

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Amy on Salt Spring

Listing dimensions of a piece dilemma

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I don't know if this is a business topic--buts it not kilnforming either so here goes. Whenever I am supposed to send size information to a show--or even just put it on my site, I have a dilemma. Since all of my work is in frames, do I give the dimension of the frame/stand or the dimension of the piece. For instance I have a piece where the glass is 50" wide, 20" tall but only 1/2" deep--now the stand is 54" wide, by 1" tall by 8" deep. Do I list the piece as being 54" wide by 21" tall by 8" deep? That is how much room it will take up but my concern is if you just see a picture and read the size you may think the glass is 8" deep! Should I list the glass dimensions AND the stand dimension? Another good example is a piece like DayBreak--its 8 feet tall, 13.5 inches wide and about 1 inch deep but it is freestanding so has feet which are 10 inches deep. You see what I mean? If I write that it is 10 inches deep, will it be obvious that I am including the feet of the frame? Any advice would be welcome!
Amy
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I would list the entire dimension including stand - the final piece is the art piece in total not just glass vs stand. Just an opinion.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

On one show application I was asked to list dimensions with and without the stand.

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

I always list the dimensions that define the space the piece takes with the stand...........steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867