another gallery question...

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

lauren

another gallery question...

Post by lauren »

so figuring i was on a roll, i went and met with another gallery owner about carrying my work. she liked everything a lot...then told me to get in the 2 week show it cost $500. i was just kinda stunned after that, so didn't ask questions i should have, and she didnt really answer the questions i did actually ask...she kinda skirted the question of what cut of sales she takes, couldn't give me #'s of ppl that pass through the gallery (it was on the 5th floor of a building that, while in a busy area, the entrance was unmarked and on a very quiet side street)...so i don't think i'd work with her anyway....and that's even assuming i'd have $500. which might as well be a million. but is a policy like that usual? i've never heard of such a thing (i mean, maybe a small fee to cover advertising expenses...but $500?!) that doesn't really mean anything, that i've never heard of it, but just wonderin....

thanks

peace
- l
Brock

Post by Brock »

There are as many variations in honesty and good business practices amongst gallery owners as in any other business. Hell, maybe more. All it takes to be a gallery is some business cards, white walls, and track lighting. Never pay to be in a show in a local gallery. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Doug

Post by Doug »

Exactly. Looks like its a win/win situation....for the gallery.
Bert Weiss

Re: another gallery question...

Post by Bert Weiss »

lauren wrote:so figuring i was on a roll, i went and met with another gallery owner about carrying my work. she liked everything a lot...then told me to get in the 2 week show it cost $500. i was just kinda stunned after that, so didn't ask questions i should have, and she didnt really answer the questions i did actually ask...she kinda skirted the question of what cut of sales she takes, couldn't give me #'s of ppl that pass through the gallery (it was on the 5th floor of a building that, while in a busy area, the entrance was unmarked and on a very quiet side street)...so i don't think i'd work with her anyway....and that's even assuming i'd have $500. which might as well be a million. but is a policy like that usual? i've never heard of such a thing (i mean, maybe a small fee to cover advertising expenses...but $500?!) that doesn't really mean anything, that i've never heard of it, but just wonderin....

thanks

peace
- l
Lauren

NYC is certainly different than any other art market in the world. What matters more than how many people walk through the door is how many collectors the gallery owner can access and sell your work to.

Once you have paid the gallery $500 there is little incentive to push your work. Unless you know of fabulous success stories from others in that exact situatuion, I wouldn't do it.

On the other hand getting representation in NYC is a coveted situation.

On the other hand the last time I was in a Soho gallery, they disappeared and stole my work. Win some / lose some.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

This is what I know as "Pay to Play". It's a raw deal and I would discourage you from doing that.

Pay for booth space at a well trafficed or well known show like the ACC shows...(wholesale or retail), they do the advertising and you do the selling. They charge an entry fee and generate income from your booth fee. Galleries don't or shouldn't be charging their artists a fee other than a percentage of the sale in my opinion. I'd say stay as far away from this one as possible. I'd stick to wholesaling or consignment. Her evasiveness is a big tip off too. Trust your gut instincts. If it seems a bit fishy, it probably is.

$500.00 is steep. Check out what booth fees are for the larger more well known retail shows in the country...and what she's offering doesn't seem to add up to ethical.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: another gallery question...

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Currently I am running a much better deal

$395.00

And the only extras is, U pay 4 the advertising, invites, strech limo, food n wine at the private view

If any of yr work is broken U have 2 pay me 4 it

I prefer cash, used bills only

Pleasure doing business with U