Looking for colored Bud vases or colored test tubes?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

camaro

Looking for colored Bud vases or colored test tubes?

Post by camaro »

Looking for wholesale info for purchasing colored bud vases or colored test tubes, been on internet all day, searching floral, florist and test tubes can't find what I'm looking for. I saw one at a store, that was frosted blue color, as well as an orange. Anyone out there know what I should be looking under or where I can go for these items?
Thanks
camaro :D
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

Don't think you'll find colored test tubes, but you should be able to find test tubes wholesale from a scientific supply co.

I've colored test tubes by filling and emptying with a craft store dye (can't remember what it's called) that's used for making fake stained glass. I don't imagine it's very durable, but there are also very low fire colors such as Vitrea colors made by Pebeo which you can bake in your oven at about 300°. I've never used them, but they're supposed to be quite durable.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Looking for colored Bud vases or colored test tubes?

Post by Brad Walker »

camaro wrote:Looking for wholesale info for purchasing colored bud vases or colored test tubes, been on internet all day, searching floral, florist and test tubes can't find what I'm looking for. I saw one at a store, that was frosted blue color, as well as an orange. Anyone out there know what I should be looking under or where I can go for these items?
Colored test tubes are usually made from colored borosilicate glass. These can be easily made by scientific glassblowers, who use lampworking techniques to make much of the specialized equipment for chemistry labs and such. The basics of how they are made is here: http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/gb.htm

If you want to find someone to make custom colored test tubes for you, look in your yellow pages under "Glassblowing -- scientific".
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Paul Housberg wrote:I've colored test tubes by filling and emptying with a craft store dye (can't remember what it's called) that's used for making fake stained glass. I don't imagine it's very durable, but there are also very low fire colors such as Vitrea colors made by Pebeo which you can bake in your oven at about 300°. I've never used them, but they're supposed to be quite durable.
Depends on what you call durable. They'll usually last several years, but not for decades or centuries like fired-on paints. Most oven-baked paints go on brillant but fade with time. They're fairly easy to scratch also, but will work fine if all you want is something that will last a few years and that won't get handled too much. For more durability, fired-on paints (stained glass paints, enamels) are better.