Drawing Wholesalers

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Amy Schleif-Mohr

Drawing Wholesalers

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi Everyone,

I know this isn't glass but thought maybe some of you could help me out. Starting in Sept. I am teaching an abstract drawing class. I need to find a place where I can buy drawing materials at wholesale. Like different kinds of paper, charcoal, conte', sumi ink, graphite etc, etc. Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks so much,
Amy
rodney

Post by rodney »

http://www.google.com

you can find loads of places on the web,,,,GOOGLE is the best place to shart, just put in your seach words,,,,WHOLESALE ART SUPPLIES,,,this will get you going

rodney
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

http://www.utrechtart.com/

I have never purchase wholesale since I've never needed bulk supplies. But Utrecht offers studio/professional grade products at student grade pricing. I used to purchase online until an Utrecht supplier opened up here. Being in Milwaukee, I'd expect chances are good you have an Utrecht supplier, but if not, browse the site and compare pricing.

I love Utrecht paints and brushes and they supply papers, conte, pastel, charcoal, prismacolor....You want it, they probably supply it.

Just a thought. Aren't your students utilizing their own materials? I always had to buy my own supplies as a student, and as an instructor, supplies were brought by students or provided by the facility I was teaching at. Regardless of your set up, Utrecht is worth exploring.

Have fun. I always loved teaching drawing much better than painting. I bet you'll have a blast!

PS...Kids are more fun to work with than grown ups too....They're less inhibited and learn soooo fast. I'm feeling all wispy and mistly over not teaching anymore :?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Thanks Rodney and Cynthia,

We do have a Utrecht here but it's still retail. The place I'm doing this through wants to minimize paper work so when someone signs up for a class there is a registration fee, material fee and a class fee.

I've always bought my own materials too but this place does things a little different. I don't really care as long as the class is full.

Thanks,
Amy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I've always bought my own materials too but this place does things a little different. I don't really care as long as the class is full.

Thanks,
Amy
You go Amy. What fun, and I'm sure you'll fill your class. Makes me want to come and take it. I pulled out some old papers from my map drawers just to feel and smell them. Think I'll take a sketch book to Alaska with me and see how that feels.

Been away form 2D for awhile...feeling nostalgic.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

C.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

amy, you might try Dick Blick and see if they offer pricing for teachers.
http://www.dickblick.com/
their pricing is quite good, and might be in the range you're looking for, even if it is "retail". i've bought all kinds of stuff from them, air compressors, drafting linoleum, brushes, pens, printing inks, reams of tissue to pack orders. i've always been pleased, and they have a good customer service department with people who know all kinds of details about their merchandise. kitty.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Thanks Kitty,

I checked with SAX which is based in WI and it looks like I can get all the supplies I will need for about $30 per student. I'm getting 230lb. paper and that is the largest part of the cost.

Amy
Dani

Post by Dani »

Also contact a local paper supplier to see if you can buy their overstock cheap.... even print shops often have partial boxes of cardstock in large sheets that come in many colors and are great for art projects. I still buy one kind of gray cardstock for my pastels because the paper has the perfect tooth for my technique. It's not archival as a rule, but most student grade materials aren't.... and having briefly worked in the conservation field, your work isn't archival anyway unless you wear white gloves during every step of production.
lynn

Post by lynn »

I've ordered supplies for an Art Dept. for 27 yrs. We get to be great little shoppers! Some of our suppliers have been listed but a few I use due to quality and or price:

Utrecht : their acrylics are great. many artists that do not mix their own use them but they are also affordable for teaching. For color theory they have tempera paints that actually work ( blue and yellow truly make a great green) so I use them rather than gouache. ( as do a few colleges) Also brushes.

Dick Blick: brushes & they also have good paper

but for fancy papers, http://www.artpaper.com is better.
for sketching paper try http://www.mollyhawkinshouse.com

Sax, Nasco and Molly Hawkins for general materials.

Wholesale: in general it doesn't work the same as with glass, etc.
just search for the best prices and they really do vary. No one comp. is the best all around.
The most you will hope for is quantity discount ( which is all schools get)
lynn

Post by lynn »

Amy Schleif-Mohr

Thanks lynn. That's just what I was looking for.

Amy
Doug

Post by Doug »

Amy, I've used a place online called Jerry's Artarama. Good prices and they have teachers discounts.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/
Dani

Post by Dani »

And there's nothing like a beautiful big roll of white butcher paper and a box of woodless pencils for drawing. Except maybe cheap manila paper and a good conte crayon. So much for so little.....
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Butcher paper won't hold up for what we will be doing. I need thick paper that can take a lot of abuse.

Amy
lynn

Post by lynn »

molly hawkins has what you need then ....inexp. and as thick as you want
Dani

Post by Dani »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Butcher paper won't hold up for what we will be doing. I need thick paper that can take a lot of abuse.

Amy
Then you'll love the cardstock that printers use.... they come in large sheets about 24 x 36? maybe.... this is the paper they use for business cards. It often has a nice texture and many colors light enough to print on. The first half dozen boxes I inherited were scrounged throwaways during a year-end inventory of a large paper supplier. I've purchased the stuff ever since.
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

cheap joe's art stuff is a good place that I've used. Nasco is a school art catalog with pretty good prices. Utrecht is my choice for brushes and paint...
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider