IN Catalog Inc

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jo Holt

IN Catalog Inc

Post by Jo Holt »

Does anyone know this company? Their address is Weston FL and it sounds like they are a middleman between you and the catalog clients - matching the products to the right catalog. I'm curious what the "right" catalog would be for glass.

Thx, Jo
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Dont know that catalog, but i have been approached by a catalog middleman ... middlewoman, to be exact. besides her own manufacturing business (sterling jewelry), she also shows catalog buyers other jewelry which she does not make, and that's why she was talking to me. she saw my line around Hawaii, and called me.

i learned quite a lot from this woman about how catalog deals work. i didn't get picked up by any of her catalog clients, but shortly thereafter a large museum started buying from me, and they have a catalog which i am hoping to get into.

typically there's a healthy lead-time to prepare the goods. orders are signed Purchase Orders. the woman who approached me was going to buy my goods herself, and then sell them to the catalog company. she asked me what kind of a discount i would offer to sweeten the pot, and i said 10% COD, which she seemed to like.

catalog mark-ups might be three-fold, so you've got to decide whether you can fit into that scheme. i figured i'd have to back my price down a little, but since the order could be $10,000, what's to not like?

i've seen small fused glass dishes in various museum catalogs, and thought the stuff was kinda high for what it was. $32 for 4" iridized plate, 4 triangular quadrants of different irid, museum of fine arts, boston, two years ago. there's an Oregon artists' catalog, maybe published in Portland, that has featured some glass, but i dont remember pricing.

for the right kind of product, i think it's an attractive business idea. if i ever land one of these contracts, i will report.