selling

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

lauren

selling

Post by lauren »

so a person comes up to my table, i say hi, they look, they ooh, they ahhh....and i can't think of a thing to say. i just lose every bit of charm/personality i might have ever had and stand there like a wooden block. what do you say? i HATE things that sound like a spiel (these-are-all-hand-cut-pieces-of-glass-that-are-zzzzzzzzzzzzz) i can get going when someone is inquisitive and asks good questions...but those people are rare. i try and mention something interesting about each piece the person is focusing on, but people don't seem to have that much of a response to it.

how do you sell? what's your style? i need some lessons. and some practice.

yes, i have the bruce baker tape. helped a little, still lost tho

thanks

peace
- l
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

A low key approach is to say something like "hi, I'm Lauren, the artist who made these pieces. If I can help you or answer a question, please let me know."

Then they'll ask you if they're plastic or resin. LOL.

But seriously, that's one I learned from the sculpture/jewelry prof I studied for many years. I tend to use that approach earlier in the day or at a show where people seem to be skittish...fearful about getting a hard sell routine from someone.

The one that many folks are recommending these days that works for me when people aren't acting skittish is to say something like, "Did you see this one?" Then take a piece and place it in their hands (if possible). I always use a piece I'm really interested in and excited about because it has some kind of personal meaning to me. That makes what I say about it come from the heart and the excitement is sometimes contagious to the customer. Especially if it's related to something they're interested in, too.

If they say, "I don't like red" you can pick up something else in blue or purple or green and put that in their hands. Getting someone to touch something is an important part of the sales process.

Hope this helps you, Lauren.

Geri
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

A low key approach is to say something like "hi, I'm Lauren, the artist who made these pieces. If I can help you or answer a question, please let me know."

Then they'll ask you if they're plastic or resin. LOL.

But seriously, that's one I learned from the sculpture/jewelry prof I studied for many years. I tend to use that approach earlier in the day or at a show where people seem to be skittish...fearful about getting a hard sell routine from someone.

The one that many folks are recommending these days that works for me when people aren't acting skittish is to say something like, "Did you see this one?" Then take a piece and place it in their hands (if possible). I always use a piece I'm really interested in and excited about because it has some kind of personal meaning to me. That makes what I say about it come from the heart and the excitement is sometimes contagious to the customer. Especially if it's related to something they're interested in, too.

If they say, "I don't like red" you can pick up something else in blue or purple or green and put that in their hands. Getting someone to touch something is an important part of the sales process.

Hope this helps you, Lauren.

Geri
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Instead of a detailed explaination of the process I usally just thank them for their compliments and let them know that I'll answer any questions they may have. I've also found they are quite surprised or impressed when I tell them how many hours a large fruit bowl spends in the kiln. They often brings up Hydro costs and this helps them accept the prices on the pieces they are viewing........Don
"The Glassman"
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Geri has the right idea. Put something in their hands. A beautifully done piece of glass feels as good as it looks. At my shows I tell them to take it out of the tent and into the light (when it is not raining which it seems to do regularly for me). Light always makes it look better.

I usually try to explain where the piece fits - I make suggestions on where the piece would look good. People see some piece but they don't imagine where it will fit in their house. It rarely works but at least it makes sense.

I fight the urge to say thank-you when they compliment. Buying a piece is the highest compliment. I do appreciate it when people complement and try to initiate some conversation but complements are cheap and they don't help me make expenses.

AW
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

I start with a "How ya doing today?" then I ask "Are you familiar with the fused glass process?" If they say yes, then I tell them how I'm my work is different. If they say no, well I'm off and running. 99% of the time they are very interested to hear from the artist how it is done. My problem is that I need to learn when to shut up!

Hope this helps.

Rob