When a gallery breaks something?????

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Chris H

When a gallery breaks something?????

Post by Chris H »

How do you handle the breakage if something that is placed into a gallery is broken by someone? :cry: Who should pay for the artwork?Do you just pick up pieces and fuse again. Thanks
charlie

Re: When a gallery breaks something?????

Post by charlie »

Chris H wrote:How do you handle the breakage if something that is placed into a gallery is broken by someone? :cry: Who should pay for the artwork?Do you just pick up pieces and fuse again. Thanks
what does your contract state?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hopfully the gallery has insurance on the work. If it doesn't you could try talking to the gallery to arrive at an agreement. Best thing to do though is talk about what happens if something is broken at the very beginning of the relationship. This way you both can proceed fully understanding where eachother is coming from.

Amy
Dani

Post by Dani »

Your contract should state an insured or replacement value and a retail value. Usually, the gallery insurance will cover the insured value which is retail less the gallery commission if the piece had sold. In other words, what you would have been paid had the piece been sold. Is the gallery reluctant to pay you?
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Thanks Charlie, Amy and Dani. I've had things (glass stepping stones and other things) at the Gallery for many years and have'nt checked out the contract since I started fusing glass. I'll have to do that.
Thanks
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Last summer I was talking with a gallery. They weren't interested in glass jewelry , claimed it broke to often. Said, if they had the ability to repair it, the situation might be different. They couldn't or wouldn't explain their experience with breakage. Alarms went off in my head. If my work breaks, I expect to be informed. Sure don't want a gallery trying repair my work.

I was just about to walk out the door when they asked if I knew any glass blowers. They were looking for hot glass. Seemed like a very odd question considering the conversation we'd just finished. Ah yeah, right, I'll send some right down.....
Suzanne Taggart

Post by Suzanne Taggart »

I have a gallery also and in your situation if the gallery can't get the customer (?) who broke the item to pay for it, they should compensate you for your price. They eat their consignment fee. All part of doing business.

Suzanne
Manitou Gallery and Studio
California, MO
Suzanne Taggart
Mantiou Gallery & Studio
California, MO
Marge B

Post by Marge B »

It seems to me, and I have always felt, that - that's what their part of the commision covers - selling, dusting, being responsible for it while in their store. If they purchase it outright from an artist or from the local Gift Mart, etc. they'd have to eat the cost if a customer broke it! Why do they think we have to eat it if it's on consignment of comission? It was in their care. We do our part, we make it, then get it to them in one piece!

Now, with that said - it still all comes down to what you contracted to do with the gallery in the begining. If you havn't discussed it with them, maybe now is the time. I know, I have one gallery I need to talk about it with. But, it is a touchy thing to do. Do you rock the boat or just let sleeping dogs lay? :? )
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Marge:
That should not be considered rocking the boat. It's just good business relations to spell it out. If you don't then that sleeping dog you mentioned may very well bite you.
Don
"The Glassman"