gallery venting!!

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dick Ditore

gallery venting!!

Post by Dick Ditore »

I am just finishing an exhibit in Mammoth Lakes Ca, and at the reception another gallery in town showed up. They were very interested in the work, and said they were opening a new second gallery in town. We talked back and forth for two weeks, agreed on terms, then drew up an agreement. They emailed back saying they NEVER sign agreements, everything is verbal and if I don't trust them, they don't want to do business. Floored me as they were mostly their terms. Obviously I don't feel comfortable leaving a lot of work with no paper. Have other people run into this? This place has been around almost 20 years!

Dick
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

This is absurd. I'd stay away from such a gallery; I don't care who they are.

A contract is not about trust. A contract is a tool for communication. It ensures—or goes a long way to ensure—that everybody has the same expectations. A contract ultimately depends on trust. I would never sign a contract with someone I had reason not to trust.

But, you know this.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Doug

Post by Doug »

Just walk away Dick....bad news
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Doug wrote:Just walk away Dick....bad news
I agree. But, if you're still interested, contact a few of the artists they represent, and see what kind of experiences they have had with the gallery. I have done that myself, and have found everyone I contacted willing to give me their opinion, (particularly if they are not competing glass fusing artists.)

Steve
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Yeah, my thoughts were to hit the bricks. Just could not believe it. A contract just lets everyone know whats expected. Oh well, on to the next one.

Thanks for the input.

Dick
Marty

Post by Marty »

I wonder if their lease is oral, too.
Does the IRS let them just call in?
Dani

Post by Dani »

I don't have a problem with a handshake agreement if I know the person really well and probably for a long time. But in a "just met 'em" situation like this? You must be kidding.... warning flags all over the place. Maybe you should send the gallery a copy of this thread so they're more attuned to public sentiment about such things. They are probably losing a lot of intelligent artists that could be showing in their gallery.
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Run away as fast as you can Dick. Not to be trusted at all. It's been said fences make good neighbors and contracts make good business.

Phil
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Yeah I agree. Having only met the manager, and not the owner, I don't know how he expects me to go on a handshake. I want to find out who he deals with in the world with no contract. Let's see, I need a house, car, lap grinder, all without contracts!