Business Software

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jerry

Business Software

Post by Jerry »

The time has finally come; I've got to get my business organized (Ughhhh). We've come to the point where I can't keep inventory in my head any longer (keeps falling out of my ears). So I need to ask what kind of software you folks recommend.

Our business provides glass and supplies to local crafters, plenty of finished work for the tourists and we do custom designed commissions. So I have to keep track of inventory both in glass and supplies as well as finished products. I need to track what I sell as well as keeping up with the govener's part.

Any ideas sincerely appreciated.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I know lots of folks who use QuickBooks and are happy with it. Seems to be a good balance of functionality, ease-of-use and price.

- Paul
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

im a quickbooks user. you don't need the Pro version -- the regular one works fine. Pro involves more detailed employee payroll stuff, i think, but the regular version also allows for everything you are talking about, plus payroll should you need that.

i like the reports it generates, and i like the P&L statement. plus, it's easy to see which stores are selling what, at what velocity, and it's also fun to see accounts receivables. the business checking account is incorporated into the whole thing, too, along with the business credit card.

the first year i had it, i paid the $300 for human help, 1-year subscription. it was worth it. you call, and a person walks you thru whatever problem you're having. open for wailing 24 hours a day, too.

i think you can send all the quickbooks data to a tax program (Turbo Tax??), but i dont do that, i give my numbers to my CPA.

one thing about these programs that i've learned to respect is how they disprove certain beliefs that we stubbornly hold to be "true."

kitty likes it.
Alecia Helton

Business Software

Post by Alecia Helton »

This may be a really DUH question. But does Quick Books handle inventory?

Also, my accountant wants me to do a better job tracking the component material costs of my pieces. Would Quick Books help with this?

Thanks,
Alecia
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

try this link
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/commerce/c ... stid=96163

QB does have a way to track expenses per job, but i dont do that because i'm not selling things like glass panels to inset into cabinet doors, or projects that have definite materials costs. i think you should go to their website, and get their 800 number or email them and ask if the program can do certain specific things. my experience with them is good -- they're a sharp bunch of people. i noticed using that link some topics on their home page that relate to posing questions about applications of QB.
watershed

Post by watershed »

yes billable expenses and time can be tracked, depending on the version. I DO use the turbo tax import option and it seems to work well. I've only used it for Landscaping, so I can't answer any specific Q's on glass accounting.

Greg
Alecia Helton

Business Software

Post by Alecia Helton »

I followed the link you provided, thanks, that was a big help.

QuickBooks does track inventory in the Premier edition. That's the one that allows for five simultaneous users. And Sam's Club sells for the rock bottom price of $350. That's a lot of horse power for little ole' me.

Does anyone use a simpler electronic inventory tracking system for raw materials and finished goods?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Yes. I use a whole slew of different spreadsheets that I set up about 10 years ago and have improved on in the interim. I set them up to give me the information I need to do taxes and to keep track of my inventory. They all "talk" to each other so that I have an up to the minute knowledge of my P&L for the year, what I have in inventory and how much it cost me to make, among other important information I like to keep track of.

If you are good with spreadsheets this is a not impossible task. It took me a long time to do, but now it's easy to maintain.

Geri
watershed

Post by watershed »

you "should" be able to get that feature Without the 5 users. The multiple is usually an extra fee. I know we depend on the web quite heavily, but reading the boxes has helped me in these situations. If My QB box weren't packed somewhere between Ohio and St Lou, I'd look for you.

Greg
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i just run QB2002, and i am pretty sure it will do everything you need. the basic program is detailed. i cant imagine needing any extras.

creating spread sheets that deliver info to a front page P&L also works great. i've found Excel to be a very intuitive program for this purpose.
it does take time to set up, and it helps if you have a model, but it works great once you get it going.
Alecia Helton

Business Software

Post by Alecia Helton »

Would those of you who are using Excel be willing to share your column headings and any particular tips for inventory success?

Thanks,
Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

For my inventory spreadsheet (I have lots of others for different things),
the first column is a inventory number. I use 3 part numbers. The second column is a description of the piece. The third column is the cost of direct materials. The 4th column is the overhead materials cost. The next column is the price and the final column is the year I made the piece in.

Every time I make a piece, I add it to the inventory spreadsheet so I know what I have and how much it cost to make it. It makes doing taxes much easier.

When I sell the piece, I cut its from the inventory spreadsheet and paste it into a sales spreadsheet.

The sales spreadsheet is organized into sections by date...wholesale and retail. I have a separate section for each show I do because of the way we have to submit sales tax here in CA.

The columns in the sales spreadsheet remain the same except for the last one. I replace the date it was made (once I sell the piece, I don't care about that anymore...LOL) with the sales tax collected. I add a column for the total price (price plus sales tax).

Hope this makes sense. These were the first two spreadsheets I started out with for keeping my books. As time went on, I added more and more, including spreadsheets for the cost of direct materials and overhead materials that I update every time i buy something. I have a zillion more for different things, but hopefully this will get you started.

Geri
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

QB does track inventory but only in the sense that it expects you to buy an item or have and item at wholesale and then you sell it at retail. QB has no idea how to handle what we do as fusers and that is you buy raw material (ie sheet glass, frit, rods, etc.) and then you construct something from these raw materials and then sell that item. To do this properly you really need a system based upon MRP tracking. I think that is probably way beyond the scope of what is really necessary to run a modest glass studio. I'm using QB standard edition as my account uses it also. I would actually prefer to use something else as I think it is overkill for what I need but for the moment I'll go with it.

Phil
lauren

Post by lauren »

::ahem::

from the craftsreport archive, by pete:

"Try MYOB. It is less expenseive than QB, it has built in "assembly" routines where you can create Bills of Materials and then say I want to produce 6 of a whatever and it will reduce the stock on the compnoents and give you 6 finished goods in stock. Automatically. Priced correctly.

Also has 5 or 6 price levels, so you can have a retail, a wholesale, a consignmnet, a distributor, etc. price levels.

Will do everything QB does, costs less and will let you right click and cut / copy and paste. QB disables right click for anything.

Plus, and this is the biggest benefit, as far as I'm concerned - you can update tax tables for free (QB you pay - and pay - and pay), you can email invoices, statements, quotes, etc. directly from the program for free (QB you pay - and pay, etc.) When you buy QB you are comitted to continuing outlays for updates, tax updates, processing credit cards (optional) emailing from the program and more. And if you don't keep up with the updates, they won't give you support. The cost of the program is just the beginning with them.

With MYOB you buy the program and you don't hear a giant sucking sound of them trying all kinds of ways to get further into your pocketbook. You can get a 30 day free trial at http://www.myob.net."

i've used it here and there (for other people) the way it's set is exactly what craftspeople need...you can build finished products out of specified components, have multiple price points....pete mentioned in another thread on the topic (can't find it now) that for shows you set up each show as a customer, 'sell' it all the pieces you're bringing with you, then when you get home 'return' all the pieces that didn't....inventory updated, organized...you know what's selling, etc. it sounds neat. i should get it for myself. 'should' being the operative word here.

peace
- l
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Lauren,

Good input. I'll have to check it out. That link you posted is dead but here is a link to their products:

http://www.myob.com/us/products/

I see that they run on Mac's. I'm currently using my last PC. I've had it with Window$, Micro$oft and Billy boy. I'm switching to Linux full time. I'll have to see if MYOB runs in Wine or VMWare. If so, cool. If not, I'll probably switch back to a Mac when this PC I have dies.

Thanks,

Phil
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

I haven't gone to the accounting software yet, but I use Jewelry Designer Manager by Bejeweled Software Co. http://www.jewelrydesignermanager.com/ It is pricing software, but you can load all your inventory, vendors, customers, yadda yadda. It cost about $100 with shipping. I would use it for any product I'm making, not just limited to jewelry.

Hope this helps.

Melissa
Melissa Terman
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Just to throw my 1 1/2 cents in (do you know this keyboard doesn't have a "cents" symbol? Grief!) Anyway...I have used Quickbooks for several years, and am presently on QB2002Pro. After profusely cursing the program the first few years, I have made it work for me. For instance, I created several forms under the major categories of Invoice and Estimate, but tweaking them into Work Order, Packing Slip, Price Quote, Confirmation, etc. There are still major glitches, but I'm making it work. You can update QB very inexpensively by waiting until 2 new versions come out, or just before, and ordering with store rebates. My last Pro update cost me $50. Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, etc. usually offer some tremendous rebates. Watch for them. And you don't need to update every year...unless you're heavy into the Tax part of the program. I probably won't update again until 2004 or 2005. In the meantime, I'm going to check out the other options y'all listed, for comparison of features. I believe most any program will work for you if you understand it. I took a Community College course on QB for $60, and that made a big difference. Great post. Thanks -- Barbara
lauren

Post by lauren »

o, glad to hear more good things about jewelry designer...i REALLY wish they had a trial version so i wouldn't have to shell out the money before seeing how it goes...i've heard myob and jewelry desiger together can take care of anything and everything needed. one day...one day.