wholesale

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Well then let it go on Geri...its fun and colorful when we have disagrements here, of course its not the same, but hey, dont take it all so seriously...its not like its a real job anyway...hahah
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Doug, you can be as silly as you like here. I don't mind silliness in the least. As you may recall, I can be pretty silly myself sometimes on boards.

But I've never liked watching people take potshots at each other on boards, even in the old days. When this happens, I get complaints from other readers of this board, some as old time as you and I are.

Some people just prefer not to read other people's arguments (or hear them in person either...LOL).

I don't care if you want to take potshots at people in email...do it all day for all I care. Please, just don't do it here.

I don't view this as political correctness so much as not wanting to read stuff that makes my stomach churn.

Thanks -

Geri
Brock

Post by Brock »

Geri Comstock wrote:Brock, I wrote that message using my piece as an example of how people aren't always aware of how long it takes someone to make something. I would have used someone else's piece as an example, but since I wasn't there when they were making it, I couldn't.

I didn't intend my comment to be a potshot at you. I was simply questioning the statement by giving a concrete example of something I very familiar with.

My question wasn't intended to be insulting, like a potshot is. I was asking a question. If you were insulted, I'm sorry, but that wasn't my intent.

Geri
There is ABSOLUTELY NO CORRELATION between how long it takes you to make an an object and that object's perceived value. I just spent some time in the archives looking for your response, but couldn't find it, but your tone was far from questioning Geri. Look it up and post it! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Brock, I tried to find it, too, before I responded to you and couldn't. I think it was in a thread that got deleted because of other content.

I wish that if you had been so insulted by what I said, you would have told me so then instead of waiting until now. We could have cleared it up back then.

Geri
Brock

Post by Brock »

Geri Comstock wrote:Brock, I wrote that message using my piece as an example of how people aren't always aware of how long it takes someone to make something. I would have used someone else's piece as an example, but since I wasn't there when they were making it, I couldn't.

I didn't intend my comment to be a potshot at you. I was simply questioning the statement by giving a concrete example of something I very familiar with.

My question wasn't intended to be insulting, like a potshot is. I was asking a question. If you were insulted, I'm sorry, but that wasn't my intent.

Geri
There is ABSOLUTELY NO CORRELATION between how long it takes you to make an an object and that object's perceived value. I just spent some time in the archives looking for your response, but couldn't find it, but your tone was far from questioning Geri. Look it up and post it! As I recall you chided me for making comments about jewelry, which, according to you, I know nothing about. I didn't even mention jewelry! I SAY AGAIN, I wasn't even referring to you. Be a board Nazi all you like, you haven't hardly posted lately! Why do we keep having trouble with "moderators"? Brock
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Brock, I didn't post for a long time because I was having problems with my antiquated computer and software. I posted about it when Brad asked if he should change the format of the board a while back.

About a week and a hafl ago, David and i got a new computer which just screams on the InterNet and so I can post again. I suspect that if you look, my post rate over the last week or so has been up, except for on Friday through Monday night when I was doing a show anddidn't have time to post.

Thank you for noticing I'd been gone. It was simply very difficult to post before. It usually took about 5 tries of typing a post before i could get a it to go through because of the antiquated version of NetScape I had to use. It was simply too frustrating and time-consuming to post very often.

But I'm back again, new computer, new browser and all.

And I agree that the time spent on an object and it's perceived value aren't necessarily correlated. Heh! When I first made jewelry it would take me an entire 8 hour day to make a pendant I could sell for $60 at a show. I can now make that some pendant, with much better craftsmanship in an hour or less because of the skills I've developed over my 10 years of metalsmithing.

Geri
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Geri Comstock wrote:Brock, I tried to find it, too, before I responded to you and couldn't. I think it was in a thread that got deleted because of other content.

I wish that if you had been so insulted by what I said, you would have told me so then instead of waiting until now. We could have cleared it up back then.
Here's the thread: http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=78034
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Thanks Brad. That was one of the more truely classic posts on the old board. Too bad that can't happen anymore with this newer format. But hey, they say "change is good", so there we go.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

I don't view this as political correctness so much as not wanting to read stuff that makes my stomach churn.

Thanks -

Geri[/quote]

Well, if thats all it takes to make your stomach churn, might I recommend a good antacid. But seriously Geri, I'm not being silly at all, this has been talked about numerous times...like television shows, if you dont like it, just dont watch it.....or in this case, dont read it. Point is, this is real life and just because you dont like what is being said doesn't mean that it should be censered. Of course there should be a line that doesnt need to be crossed, like vulgarity, or threats. This series of posts is nowhere near that. But since your the all powerful one here on your business section, you can do what you want. Actually, maybe there should be a new arena formed....we could call it "The Ring" where people could go and proverbally duke it out...mano a mano. hahah.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

LOL. You are too funny. That would be an interesting board for some folks. Go for it! Start one.

Laughing -

Geri
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Geri Comstock wrote:LOL. You are too funny. That would be an interesting board for some folks. Go for it! Start one.

Laughing -

Geri
It would be interesting...would'nt it, but I degress...I have no time to start a board, let alone play on this but occasionally. :lol:
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Oh well. We'll have to leave it to some other willing soul...Or maybe someone will turn it into a reality TV show on Fox. LOL.

Glad to hear you're busy. It must mean sales are good.

Geri
lauren

Post by lauren »

But since your the all powerful one here on your business section
:roll:

maybe she raised up her big stick a li'l too early, but i'm glad she said something.

making geri out to be a board nazi is nonsense, and seeming to assume that she just lurks here waiting for an opportunity to jump in and throw her weight around is silly.

but The Ring...now that's a good idea...that could get interesting. been takin kickboxing classes, i think i'm ready

for the record, i'm all for off color, raunchy, whatevs....but i admit to getting sensitive over remarks that are or COULD BE PERCEIVED as snide comments on another person's artwork or way of conducting their business.

kachink kachink, my two cents submitted

peace
- l
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

but The Ring...now that's a good idea...that could get interesting. been takin kickboxing classes, i think i'm ready

Hey Lauren...now thats too funny! Can't wait to go a round with ya...hahah! ding ding ding.

for the record, i'm all for off color, raunchy, whatevs....but i admit to getting sensitive over remarks that are or COULD BE PERCEIVED as snide comments on another person's artwork or way of conducting their business.

kachink kachink, my two cents submitted

peace
- l[/quote]

Lauren... really, loose the sensitive stuff, its just unneccesary baggage for artists. Shake it off and come out punching...or in your case, kicking. hahah....throwing another penny in the pot.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have 2 other board experiences to compare with. First was rec.crafts.glass. On that board some kid would post a question about pipe making (an on topic discussion) and some idiot would rail on and on about what a jerk the pipe maker was. There would be dozens of flaming outrageous postings from some troll and the board just got sickening.

On Craftweb there can be contentious banter. Pete and Henry who hold down the senior experienced leadership roles love to chide each other, disagree, and make outrageous challenging statements. I find the banter there fun.

Aparently most of the people reading this board do not post at all. I find that strange. My pet peeve is people not really identifying themselves. Luvhug is not a name I'm comfortable communicating with.

I must admit that it is uncomfortable when people you like are fighting with nonsubstantive retorts. I want to hear the issues behind the jabs. Not just the jabs. A good argument is how we learn and grow.

I see that the board has changed considerably. There used to be 100 posts a day. Now there are a lot fewer. I don't really understand why it is any different at all. You can still say whatever you want. It just gets stuck in different catagories. what's the big deal?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

I have 2 other board experiences to compare with. First was rec.crafts.glass. On that board some kid would post a question about pipe making (an on topic discussion) and some idiot would rail on and on about what a jerk the pipe maker was. There would be dozens of flaming outrageous postings from some troll and the board just got sickening.

On Craftweb there can be contentious banter. Pete and Henry who hold down the senior experienced leadership roles love to chide each other, disagree, and make outrageous challenging statements. I find the banter there fun.

Craftweb is not the same either. Henry doesn't even post there anymore, (or at least hasn't for a while), and while PETE and TOB take the ocassional desultory shot at each other, the energy seems to be gone. There are a few witty intelligent posters there still however.

Aparently most of the people reading this board do not post at all. I find that strange. My pet peeve is people not really identifying themselves. Luvhug is not a name I'm comfortable communicating with.

I totally agree with that statement. Why do people, when they post, like to use some cute little alias? What's wrong with using your own name?

I ust admit that it is uncomfortable when people you like are fighting with nonsubstantive retorts. I want to hear the issues behind the jabs. Not just the jabs. A good argument is how we learn and grow.

Nonsubstantive! I've said the same thing over and over. Read it!

I see that the board has changed considerably. There used to be 100 posts a day. Now there are a lot fewer. I don't really understand why it is any different at all. You can still say whatever you want. It just gets stuck in different catagories. what's the big deal?

The big deal is that this rigid linear format has killed the creative manic spark that used to be here. I didn't intend for this to become yet another rant about format, but . . .

It just ain't the same.

Finally, if you're going to moderate, moderate!

If you're going to delete, delete!

Don't threaten, admonish, chide, or reprimand . . . ACT!

I don't want anyone modifying my behaviour, and good luck to you if you try. so, I don't need, nor want, anymore warnings. If a post is truly offensive in some way, it should be gone. But the job description "moderator" does not mean playground monitor. Remove what needs to be removed, and leave the rest alone! Brock
Carol B

Post by Carol B »

[quote="Bert Weiss"]

Aparently most of the people reading this board do not post at all. I find that strange.

I guess that is my cue to introduce myself. Carol Bauer - Olympia Washington - fusing neophyte. I have a marshmallow kiln and specialize in making blobs of glass. :)

I have been reading for several months but have not yet had anything to contribute. I am sure that will change with experience. I have an extensive background in PMC, beads, beading, jewelry design and construction so if anyone needs an expert in that area just let me know.

I love this board - It is a wonderful source of information.

CarolB
Cynthia

Re: wholesale

Post by Cynthia »

Dick Ditore wrote:very happy to have my first wholesale order. now the question. who pays shipping,or do you make the wholesale price high enough to cover it? I delivered the first order as I was going to be nearby, but it is too far for future orders,of which they are already requesting more. thanks

Dick
I suppose you could factor it into your wholesale costs and call it even if that simplifies your life. I haven't had much wholesale experience in the volumes it sounds like you are doing. But know someone who does and his policy is as follows.

Client pays for shipping and packing costs unless the order is large. He blows pipes (Shhh, his mom doesn't know). If he sells in quantities (don't know his cut off) he will throw in the shipping, or discount the product as an incentive to get them to increase the size of the order. Seems to work some of the time to get the client to bump up their order. Don't know if this would be applicable to your situation.

Get some invoices prepared that itemize the shipment contents, add insurance costs, packing costs and your shipping costs. Mail them the bill. You probably can set up an account with UPS if you are going to be shipping frequently enough to justify it. It costs you, but the rates are reduced. There's a balance there if you can figure it out as to if it's cost cost effective.

Great to hear things are looking rosy Dick. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. My best to you and Marlene,

C.
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Wow! A lot happened while I was on the road. Thanks for all the advice and support. I did not mean to open the proverbial can of worms. But I have to say, it is interesting! A little bantering gets the juices flowing. I have talked to the gallery, (actually Marlene did) and she stated the wholesale price, plus shipping. Also told him what the minimum order was. He doubled that, gave a credit card, and we are off.

Thanks again, and hope to find more time to post. Still running three businesses and right now all are busy. Good, but not enough time for glass.

Dick
Brock

Post by Brock »

Just like the old days, wasn't it. Congratulations Dick, sounds like you're doing great. That'll keep your personal shopper happy. Brock