wholesale

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dick Ditore

wholesale

Post by Dick Ditore »

very happy to have my first wholesale order. now the question. who pays shipping,or do you make the wholesale price high enough to cover it? I delivered the first order as I was going to be nearby, but it is too far for future orders,of which they are already requesting more. thanks

Dick
Brock

Post by Brock »

If they're buying, they're paying the shipping. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Dani

Post by Dani »

Unless you want to use shipping as a marketing tool to beef up orders. Then you might consider offering free shipping for the month of February, for example.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Dani wrote:Unless you want to use shipping as a marketing tool to beef up orders. Then you might consider offering free shipping for the month of February, for example.
Dick...From my experience, I wouldn't offer free anything. It just opens the doors for for more expectations from your customer. Give em an break, and they'll always take advantage of it in the future. Just my free advice...hahahah!
Dani

Post by Dani »

I also offer a money-back guarantee, no questions asked. Gee, I must have some really decent customers. I've never been burned or taken advantage of..... come to think of it, we haven't had a returned check in almost 30 years. Go figure. What goes round, comes round?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Dick, good work doesn't require any other enticements to sell. Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:Dick, good work doesn't require any other enticements to sell. Brock
My point exactly Brock. :lol:
Dani

Post by Dani »

It takes more than good work to sell when the economy bottoms out. There were a lot of really good artists at both recent wholesale markets that didn't sell. And it's not unusual for some of them on the last day of the show to put out pre-printed signs offering free shipping. They're pros, they know what they're doing, they've been in the game a long time. And probably will stay in the game. Hubris is not an asset when times are tough. The next few years are not going to be easy for anyone especially not full-time artists who are at the bottom of the economic food chain (no matter how "good" they are). Now's the time to get truly creative and figure out smart ways to stay in business. That probably takes more creativity than most artists apply to their works. I'm saying this to all the aspiring normal artists out there, not those who think they're above the fray.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Dani, Dick already HAD the order. Where is his incentive to offer a deal?

And if you need something to do, why don't you go back into the archives and do some of the dozens of projects you have posted that you were going to do. I'd be interested to see some of them . . . Brock
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

I have to agree that incentives are not needed when the job is in the bag. That appears to come from lack of self-esteem, or whatever. Several years back (and the economy was toilet-bound), I got a job at $1500. When I did it, it didn't take me as long as I thought, so (since the $1500 was an "estimate") I readjusted the actual invoice to $1000. My thinking on this was, if I actually came in "under budget" I would get more work from this architect---since he would really know what I was about. That was over 10 years ago. I never got another job. I'm not saying "gouge" the customer, but if an agreement has been made, hold to it and never look back. If they want you again, it meant you did it right the first time. - Barbara
Dani

Post by Dani »

Brock wrote: And if you need something to do, why don't you go back into the archives and do some of the dozens of projects you have posted that you were going to do. I'd be interested to see some of them . . . Brock
I've done a good number of them and the photos are in My Portfolio where they belong... not in Your Slide Show where they'll do me no good whatsoever.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Dani wrote:
Brock wrote: And if you need something to do, why don't you go back into the archives and do some of the dozens of projects you have posted that you were going to do. I'd be interested to see some of them . . . Brock
I've done a good number of them and the photos are in My Portfolio where they belong... not in Your Slide Show where they'll do me no good whatsoever.
No need to worry, I'll never show slides of your work. Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Dick......Getting back to the subject. In professional art business situations I've never found a reason to wheel and deal to sell my work. My clients and galleries respect me because I offer them quality work at the going price, and I do exactly what I say I will do. Nothing more, nothing less. I've done very well for myself, and if that means to some person that "I'm above the frey", then so be it. But being an artist is a lot of hard work, and it requires actually being in the studio all day, not sitting around on the computer writing essays and blathering to no end. Keep up the good work Dick and say hello to Marlene.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Brock and Dani, stop taking potshots at each other or I will lock this thread.

If you need to fight with each other, please do it via email and not on this board.

Thank you.

Board Mom Geri
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Geri, wow! you have that power? Oh my!
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Yes, Doug, I do.

Geri
Brock

Post by Brock »

Geri Comstock wrote:Brock and Dani, stop taking potshots at each other or I will lock this thread.

If you need to fight with each other, please do it via email and not on this board.

Thank you.

Board Mom Geri
Geri, your attitude was a bit different when you were taking shots at me. Do you remember when I proposed that some of the pieces in WG@BEII were overpriced? You went ballistic, and into a long monologue about how it took you a year to make your necklace. I wasn't even referring to you, so I never responded. Do what you like. Brock
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Brock, I wrote that message using my piece as an example of how people aren't always aware of how long it takes someone to make something. I would have used someone else's piece as an example, but since I wasn't there when they were making it, I couldn't.

I didn't intend my comment to be a potshot at you. I was simply questioning the statement by giving a concrete example of something I very familiar with.

My question wasn't intended to be insulting, like a potshot is. I was asking a question. If you were insulted, I'm sorry, but that wasn't my intent.

Geri
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Well, that was the old days, and the old board...where a little banter and off color was tolorated. It was amusing and really no harm was done. But (sigh!) now, look what we've come to. Always nicey nicey, politically correct, and all that great character has been moderated away. Off to Spabs place....
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Yes, sigh, the old days are gone. I miss them, too, Doug. We had alot of fun being very silly and off color back then.

Geri