Pricing for restaurants vs. galleries?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

K Okahashi

Pricing for restaurants vs. galleries?

Post by K Okahashi »

Hello gang,

Ok, I've had two restaurants interested in my plates and platters now :D . One is a very well established restaurant and the other just starting up. While I'm very excited at these potential opportunities, I'm at a loss how restaurants work. I'm wondering what type of general budgets do they have to work with, etc. Does it matter what type of budget they generally operate from?

I guess what I'm thinking is my pricing is geared toward wholesale shops and galleries. Should I keep it the same for restaurants? Would you price differently for a start up restaurant than a gallery? It would be a most excellent feather in my cap, but I'm not about to give things away either.

Any former restauranteurs out there willing to share? Thanks much!
keiko
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'd like to start a restaurant in my dreams- the reality is too much like work.

Keiko- your wholesale price is just that- I assume the restuarants will be buying a quantity of your work and will qualify for the w/s price. Any publicity you get is a bonus. And their finances are their concern, not yours (except their ability to pay you). If they only want a couple of pieces for display, then they're not wholesale customers and you should charge them retail, but you could offer a small discount for good will.
Marty
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Marty wrote:I'd like to start a restaurant in my dreams- the reality is too much like work.

Keiko- your wholesale price is just that- I assume the restuarants will be buying a quantity of your work and will qualify for the w/s price. Any publicity you get is a bonus. And their finances are their concern, not yours (except their ability to pay you). If they only want a couple of pieces for display, then they're not wholesale customers and you should charge them retail, but you could offer a small discount for good will.
Marty
I agree with Marty. No restaurant I know could possibly afford to pay retail for plates. Most can't afford wholesale. The restaurant account that I work with ends up to be the most work for the money of any projects I do. They still buy about a thousand dollars a year, so I am willing to go the extra mile for them. It is a thrill to see my sushi's get hard use.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

Thanks Marty and Bert!

I was thinking the same but trying to weigh the "publicity" and the "cost reality" of it all. I did a search on line with restaurant supplies and found a lot of the "standard" stuff out there. Of course there is no way I could even begin to charge some of those wholesale prices. I already give to real charity events not to mention family members who consider themselves "charity," so I'm disinclined to do the same with folks I don't even know.

I did another search for "unique" kitchen supplies- for higher end type products and found this site that is interesting http://www.joannehudson.com/. Thought you might find it interesting too. I guess I'm also checking on the reality other folks face and if there are other innovative ideas. This site also brings up working with interior designers...hmmmm....I will have to think about this too...

Thanks again!
keiko
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Keiko, on the practical side, make sure your plates can stand the high dishwasher temps required by restaurants to sanitize their ware. - Barbara