Another classic question....

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Tony Smith

Another classic question....

Post by Tony Smith »

I just wanted to add another question that caught me off guard last week while I was at Rainbow Art Glass' open house in New Jersey. I was showing a thick, strip pattern piece to Kat from Uroboros, and a woman who was standing nearby asked me if it was Corian! I wasn't sure if that was an insult or a compliment. If nothing else, I guess I had a convincing finish on the piece. :?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i would call it a compliment. think about how much money that company has invested in refining the look of that product to be so appealing to so many people. rosanna
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Heh! Hey, Tony, that's one I've never been asked before! KEWL!

I'd take it as a compliment and forget it. People have no clue sometimes that they're being insulting to us when they ask if our work is recycled plastic, Corian or whatever. They're just amazed and say the first thing that pops into their heads, no matter what it is.

Geri
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Learn to comb Corian and you'll have something.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
lauren

Post by lauren »

i don't really know what corian is, i went to the website and i'm still trying to figure it out....did the person think your work was a piece of countertop???????
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

they make moulded sinks as well. it can be carved and shaped like wood. yachts use alot of it. the cabinet shop guys spend alot of time wet sanding it to get just the surface that tony has on some of his work. those wealthy swmbo's (she who must be obeyed) are very particular about finish. rosanna
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Put it this way Corian can be just as expensive as granite or marble which usually means quality in countertops - guess you can chalk it up to an innocent ignorant compliment..... :shock:

-terry o.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
charlie

Post by charlie »

lauren wrote:i don't really know what corian is, i went to the website and i'm still trying to figure it out....did the person think your work was a piece of countertop???????
solid plastic countertops is the most common application for it.