Getting OUT Of A Gallery

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Randy W

Getting OUT Of A Gallery

Post by Randy W »

This past spring I got accepted into a gallery. The first weekend my work was there they sold two pieces and a few weeks later sold another small piece. Since then they haven't sold a thing. It's a small CO-OP gallery. I didn't have to join, they let me in on consignment. They aren't in the best location and are only open limited hours. I'd like to take my work out and explore other options.
I'm sort of lacking in the social skills and I'm not sure how to go about approaching them. Do I need to give them advanced notice? Do I need to give them a reason? I'm not sure what to say. I've never been in this situation before and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Randy
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

Randy, I think you've just got to be honnest. Take your phone, ask for an appointment with the owner and go talk to him asap. Tell him about your concerns and about how you feel and see what he has to say. Maybe there is a good reason why your work is not selling and you can have the opportunity to learn something.
Maybe quiting is the right thing to do but you've got to know what's wrong with this gallery. Just listen what they have to answer to your questions, and if you don't like the answer, decide to go.

Woww, your work is here since last spring and nobody has talked to each other during all this time..... tsk, tsk, tsk....

That is what I would do. That does not mean that is the only way or the infinite truth, OK? In this area of relashionship with galleries, I am learning too and making my way the best I can. Each day I make mistakes, but I manage to learn from each of them. But one thing I am sure, is that communication is very important.

Hope that helps,
Patricia
charlie

Re: Getting OUT Of A Gallery

Post by charlie »

Randy Wesner wrote:This past spring I got accepted into a gallery. The first weekend my work was there they sold two pieces and a few weeks later sold another small piece. Since then they haven't sold a thing. It's a small CO-OP gallery. I didn't have to join, they let me in on consignment. They aren't in the best location and are only open limited hours. I'd like to take my work out and explore other options.
I'm sort of lacking in the social skills and I'm not sure how to go about approaching them. Do I need to give them advanced notice? Do I need to give them a reason? I'm not sure what to say. I've never been in this situation before and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Randy
what does it say in your contract? my contract states 30 day notice on either side. mine also states that either side can swap out pieces for fresher/different ones. perhaps what's there isn't a seller in that spot?
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

I just moved from one gallery to another. I went into the first gallery to talk about the fact that my work wasn't selling there. I told the owner that I thought that they had a wonderful gallery and that I enjoyed working with them but my work wasn't selling and I just felt that it wasn't the right venue for me. The owner agreed and made a phone call to another gallery in the financial district and they took my stuff right away. The moral to this story, it pays to be honest. Surely this is an extraordinary case. I was actually planning on taking the pieces to some galleries out of town, which may have rejected me. The fact of the matter is that the gallery is in the business of selling art. If it feels that it can't sell your work then they take it out or don't accept you in the first place. They know that artists sometimes get their feelings hurt when that happens but that's business. And it is business and not personal. Your work that is sitting on their shelves is just collecting dust could be making money somewhere else. Check your contract and then do it.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Hi there,

I just went with a similar situation myself - although I was a co-op member - you did mention it was a co-op and sometimes these places are run on a very touchy feely type approach.

I first made sure I was accepted into another gallery (also co-op), and was selling well. I then approached the first non-selling gallery and explained my position. Many of the other gallery members seem to be happy with a spot to hang their work and are willing to pay for it. I have come to the realisation that I must be more of a business at times and do what is right for the business end of things despite any hard feelings I might further...

Explain that your work isn't selling there, and the venue is not right for you. They would be better off with an artist whose work sold at their venue - right? Look for some other venues and open a few doors. If it's a co-op you probably need to approach the board chair so that the commitee can be appraised of the situation. I had to give a months notice, since gallery scheduling had to be taken into account.

Good luck - finding the right gallery is often one of the major keys to selling.

Sadie
rodney

Post by rodney »

you wrote that you are lacking the social skills, ok dude, try this,,, get a baseball bat, go in, smash up the place, get your stuff and leave,,,end of story

but then again the police may not think its the end,,,hummmmm,,,, :D :D :D :D :D

rodney
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

Randy,

I'll try not to reiterate what others have said. In my experience most galleries and shops will understand you wanting to take your art out, especially if you have had your art there for a while.

Most retail places want things to sell too and it's hard when things don't. I follow up with all my clients regularly (ok, I call em clients) and see how things are selling overall in their shops. What type of feedback they might have from comments made to them about the art, etc.

It's always tough if it is your first time dealing with a situation, after you've met that hurdle, you'll have other hurdles to learn from in the future. Good luck!
keiko
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Randy, did you sign a contract to show your work in this Co-op?
The usual with these types of contracts, is a 30 day notice to take your work out.

If no contract was signed or a draft of gallery guidelines given to you, then you certainly have the right to remove your work at any time. How formal (written notice) or informal (verbal notice of your intent) you need to be with this process depends on the business operations of this particular co-op. I've seen co-ops that are operated in a very pro manner with excellent biz documentation to those that are too loosely organized.

As for giving a reason for removing your work, it's not necessary, but having some conversation with the apparent lead person for the co-op can help smooth the transition. This will depend on the business acumen of this individual. In an ideal world, all the valid reasons you give for leaving this business relationship, would be good input for the health & growth of this gallery. But if there's the possibility this lead person would personalize your reasons for leaving, then a written communication of your intent would be best.

It's always good to not burn bridges. Most local artist communities are small-ish and interconnected. At a point in your future, you may want to work in some capacity with present members of this co-op. So leaving on good terms is always the goal.

...........and leave-taking with no broken artwork!! Don't laugh - This happens!

Good luck, Randy!
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Getting OUT Of A Gallery

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Randy Wesner wrote:This past spring I got accepted into a gallery. The first weekend my work was there they sold two pieces and a few weeks later sold another small piece. Since then they haven't sold a thing. It's a small CO-OP gallery. I didn't have to join, they let me in on consignment. They aren't in the best location and are only open limited hours. I'd like to take my work out and explore other options.

Thanks, Randy
Consider that what was sold was the right stuff

The unsold stuff was wrong 4 the gallery

Poss give them more of the 'right stuff'

Sometimes bad sales R due to the wrong price range in a given gallery

One of our galleries sales were bad n I was considering dropping them

I visited n noticed most stuff was lots of £££££

My stuff was rearly the cheeper end of my range

I sent in some very expensive glass n they sold most of it

But they never said what about some more expensive glass ????

Now I send gallerys a range of prices

Brian
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

They've said it before, but communication is really the key. The work doesn't always sell itself, no matter how much we'd like it to, and the gallery owners may need owner involvement. Or the work isn't properly priced. Or the gallery's in a bad location. Or the gallery's patrons aren't into glass. Or they need a different type of work. Or the pieces aren't mounted or finished to their standards. Or they need better explanations. Or your work doesn't fit the current show/theme and it's been tucked in the back. Or the owners shut down for two months due to SARS. Or...

The thing is, how will you know if you don't ask? And not asking for several months probably indicates to the gallery that you don't care.

Unless you're dealing with gallery owners who are too "embarassed" to tell you something unpleasant (which may well be the case in a coop), you need to go into the gallery in person (not on the phone), and tell them you're concerned because your work isn't selling. Ask them why they think that is, and don't just nod and accept the "well, it doesn't seem to appeal to our patrons" response. If they say that, ask them to show/describe what they think *would* appeal.

Make it clear you need their opinions on what could make your work sell. Don't be confrontational and don't get personal. When you ask someone to help you as an expert, it helps defuse any defensiveness and get to the real heart of the matter. I usually find it helps to sum up what they've said in a sentence or two and ask them to confirm it--that way you both know that you understood.

What you do next depends on their answer, and how you feel about it. If they make suggestions for better finishing or displaying the work, if they suggest work in a different price range, etc...it's up to you to decide if that's reasonable. If you need to think about it for a few days before making a decision on whether or not to try a different gallery, tell them exactly that.

Whatever you decide, be open with them about what you'd like to do. If you want to try again with different/altered work, ask them what would make a reasonable trial period and let them know that if it still doesn't sell, you'll have to find another gallery.

If you know the gallery isn't going to work out, let them know that, too, and ask to arrange a good time to collect your work and finish up paperwork.
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I called the gallery today cause I knew the head honcho was going to be there. He was just getting ready to leave but had time to talk for a couple of minutes. He asked what he could do for me today and I said "well.......my work has been there for a while and it hasn't been selling to well. I don't know if it's the economy or maybe my prices are too high or maybe my work just doesn't appeal" I also mentioned that I didn't want to be taking up space that another artist could be using.
He said he was heading in my direction and would like to stop by. We talked for a while and got things worked out. They are having several events in the area during the next few months and he encouraged me to keep my stuff there through the holidays and if I want to take my stuff out after that it would be my decision and there would be no hard feelings. He feels my stuff is priced very fairly and they get compliments almost every day.
He also said that none of the other artists are selling much either but sales usually pick up before Christmas. We're going to take some pieces out and I'll get some Christmasy type things put in. He also recommended some smaller more affordable items too.
I explained that I was new to the art fair and gallery scene and wanted to go about things in the proper manner and he was very helpful. He's also going to get me in touch with another store only a couple doors down about getting a booth there for a holiday fair for selling my pendants and earrings. :D
Open and honest is always the best way to go and it even got me some other opportunities.
Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. =D>

Randy
whitejoyce

Gallery Info

Post by whitejoyce »

Hi, I am new to this topic. I have question about the Galleries. What if a Gallery takes your work on a trial basis for about 30 days and there are no contract involved?
Is that normal? What should I do after that time is up? Should see if they wants to do this another 30 days? This is my first time, I had no idea they going to take my so I did not have a contract. Fused glass jewelry is one of our media art.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions for future Gallery dealings.
J. White
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Even if a gallery is taking your work on a trial basis for only 30 days, I'd still want a contract.

That way there is no confusion about payment percentages and when payment is due.

Geri
whitejoyce

Gallery

Post by whitejoyce »

where can you get a simply contract that does say a lot mombo jargon?

How many pages should it be? I have seen some contracts that takes allday to read and the rest of the week to understand.

Thanks again,

PS. She did no offer one, I thought she was being a trusted friend to me. Was that, or is that niave of me?
J. White
Marty

Post by Marty »

A paragraph would suffice if it covered who owned what and for how long and who got paid what and when and who was responsible for ....

All you need is a letter that you both sign that says, for example:
Whitejoyce, Inc. consigns the following items (list them) at the following retail prices (list them) to Gallery X for a trial period of _ months. Gallery X will be responsible for loss or damage to a maximum of 50% of the retail cost. WJ Inc will be responsible for delivery and pick up of work. Gallery X will pay WJ _% of the retail price of any sold work within _days of the sale, and will also be responsible for collecting and remitting sales taxes. This agreement can be terminated by either party for any reason upon _days notice. Ownership of unsold work is retained by WJ Inc.

There's probably more you could put in about exclusive sales territory and referral fees and special orders, discounts for sale events, etc.
This gives you an inventory you both agree upon, as well as spelling out the basics. Trust is great but this helps ensure that you're both on the same page.
whitejoyce

Absolutely wonderful this Group!!!

Post by whitejoyce »

Thanks everyone that responded to my Gallery situation. I think I am a little more clear now. You guys are AWESOME in knowledge.

However, I do have some issues regarding the pricing of my work.
I create jewelry sometimes and I do not know how to price pendants and such out of the glass. I buy glass my sheet and sometime by the sq.ft
How do I price a 3.5 X 3.5 inch piece of glass? Some pendants are larger,smaller, in between some are earrings,bracelets, I am still having a time with that.
If any of you nice artisans can help I would very appreciative to you.
Thanks in advance for your comments,suggestions,advice.

Joyce :D
J. White
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Back on to the contracts with galleries. At our cafe I exhibit my work as a tease for the moment and display work of a print maker and an artist who is very good at pastels. They know I'm starting out and are *foolish* enough not to have requested a contract but lucky enough that it's me.
I just rang one of the artists about moving her work by being hands on by attending a night function to exhibit her work and herself, get the local paper involved, drop my commission, ect.. For me it's all about getting them to evolve like we all do. My evolution is to offer a clear contract even though I like people to trust me. - haydo
P.S. It's in my interest that I gain respect because I sell their work and that our patrons enjoy an ever changing exhibition of quality artwork.
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
cruiser

great Info

Post by cruiser »

I just wanted to compliment everyone on a great thread. I read it and learned allot about this end of the business.

Thank you.

John
http://www.cruisefix.com