Shipping and Insurance Questions

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cynthia

Shipping and Insurance Questions

Post by Cynthia »

I hope all of you who ship your work freight can help me on this.

This part of the story is funny, or at least I think so...
Yellow is supposedly the "Official" shipping company for an upcoming retail crafts show I'm participatin in (or so Harcourt directed :roll: )...We set up an occount with Yellow, made arrangements for them to pick up and ship and started asking about how to insure the work being shipped. Yellow said they can't insure or ship "Original Work or Art work." Okay :?, how is it you are the "Official" shipping company for a craft show that is exhibiting original work? Yellow responded to that by stating that we should claim that we are shipping materials for a trade show and then they would insure and ship...BUT If we file a claim and the materials damaged aren't what we said they were, they wont honor the claim. So why would I want to do that? I want insurance in case something catastrophic happens, not so I can file a claim that will be denied. :? I'm confused. And I don't know what I should do. clearly I don't know how to play this game.

I found a shipping company called Freighters and Craters that ships originals and art and have arranged for them to ship. Yipee. They will insure as well, but are vague about coverage. AT least the shipping is taken care of (I think).

What have you all experienced with shipping? What should insurance cover (retail value, or materials and labor, materials only?). How do you go about getting insurance. Do you insure for liability at the booth? Any recommendations about specific insurers? Any experiences with filing claims and were you satisfied? Maybe you don't insure at all? Why?

What should I know about shipping and insuring and booth insurance blah, blah, blah? Assume I know nothing please :lol: because that's a fact.

Oh, I don't have business insurance (probably a stupid move), so that's not currently an option for coverage.

Thanks for your input.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Cynthia

Aren't you actually shipping dishes (bowls and platters) and perhaps jewellery? If asked I'm sure they'll say they cover those items. Think of them as commodities instead of art.

Carol
Dani

Post by Dani »

I know someone who has experience with Frieghters and Craters and possibly claim experience with them.... let me have her get on board to comment.

Hang on,

Dani
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I just had a similar experience last month. I was contacted by a gallery in Chicago asking for a large already existing piece to be in a show. Unfortunately I was pressed for time as the gallery owner had just found my work and the show was starting in a couple weeks and I was in the middle of a big project with a deadline. I contacted a place that packages and ships artwork recommended to me by board member Kevin Midgley. Yellow is actually the shipper they use (subcontracting) and they weren't sure they could insure it (they said because it was glass) but after doing some research they said they would insure it for half its worth. Everything was pretty crazy about then and I didn't have time to go shopping around for another shipper and I didn't want to insure it for only half its worth (and pay the $500 they said it would cost to get it there!) so the gallery owner and I decided to wait until another show and in the meantime I am going to be doing some serious research on shipping. Slightly more complicated because I am shipping from Canada to the states. Any info. anyone has would be very welcome.
-Amy
Sue Sevcik

Post by Sue Sevcik »

I have used Craters and Freighters for moving items out of my in laws house to three parts of the US. They managed to get all the right items to each place and nothing was broken. They weren't cheap but they did a great job. I do mostly jewelry so haven't need them for my work.
Sue
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Sue Sevcik wrote:I have used Craters and Freighters for moving items out of my in laws house to three parts of the US. They managed to get all the right items to each place and nothing was broken. They weren't cheap but they did a great job. I do mostly jewelry so haven't need them for my work.
That's good to know that they did a good job. Their bid was the same as Yellow's, except that they will actually ship the work :lol: Craters and Freighters won't provide insurance though unless they do the packing, so we are talking to independent insurers. If C&F does the packing, it gets really pricey, although it ain't cheap to start with.

In terms of insurance with Yellow, It didn't matter that the work is vessels or craft, but because it is one of a kind, it is considered irreplaceable therefore uninsurable. I think there has to be something we (me and the Yellow rep.) are all missing, and perhaps I should throw the word commodity at them and see if that fixes the issue.

As of today, all the work and the booth is crated and ready to ship. I just want to get the insurance thing settled. Can't wait to learn more from what info you have to offer. :mrgreen:
Jo Holt

Re: Shipping and Insurance Questions

Post by Jo Holt »

Cynthia Oliver wrote:
What should I know about shipping and insuring and booth insurance blah, blah, blah? Assume I know nothing please :lol: because that's a fact.

Oh, I don't have business insurance (probably a stupid move), so that's not currently an option for coverage.

Thanks for your input.
Cynthia,

Why not call your homeowner agent - they might be able to do a one time only deal for not much $$ And if shows are in your future you might find a busiiness liability policy isn't that bad. :roll:

Good luck!

Jo
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

My idea of the best insurance it never to ship with brown.

I have not yet had any issues with heavy glass shipped motor freight. I use Freightquote.com

Bert
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

business insurance is a good thing, about $500 a year for $1million coverage, which means if somebody knocks over a display and your bowl cuts another person, or your tent blows down and hurts somebody, you're covered. you might be able to get a rider on the policy for shipping art works. it's a business expense, and thus tax deductible.

besides the business insurance, personal liability insurance is also very nice, and is even cheaper, about $200 or $250 a year for $2million. generally, insurance companies will not want to cover your business risks through your personal insurance. if you make your living as an artist, get that part of your life insured with a separate policy. if you own a home or other assets, insurance is a good idea. your personal insurance agent can tell you which companies in your area write business coverage.

can't comment on the shippers you have referred to, since i send everything thru the US mail, insured. claims take about 60 days to be processed. i've only filed one claim in 8 years, and it's in the works now. they'll pay, it just requires patience cuz they make you wait.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Business insurance it is with an inland marine rider. Does this really need to be so hard, or am I just a wimp :roll: ?

I really needed to reup my business insurance anyway.

:wink:
Jacques Bordeleau

Post by Jacques Bordeleau »

I was looking into it last year when I had to ship a years worth of work in one crate 2,000 miles via motorfreight. First my insurance agent told me a business policy would cover the shipping....wrong. Not included in a business policy. No, I would have needed a separate shipping policy for around $600. I passed on the offer and put together a bomb-proof packing job, solid wood, steel banded to a pallette, as usual. No problems. So far I have lost only 2 pieces of glass in 30 years of shipping, so the shipping insurance wouldn't have been cheaper... at around $15,000 for 30 years worth (wild ballpark) ... my loss around $2,000 for comparison. I believe they call that 'self-insurance'.

BTW, the freightlines have rules for claims that can screw you too. I always insist that the recieving party detain the driver and open the crate while he is still there to ascertain hidden damage. Why? If not, then the company can claim the loss happened after they delivered the shipment, and even if they do still pay anything they will split the claim 3 ways instead of 2. They never pay the full amount! I even photograph the packing process to support any arguments I may end up in with them, but doubt it will ever help much anyway. As if all that is not enough, they will only insure my glass up to $35 a pound I think is how they calculate their limitations (depends on freightlines), obviously not enough anyway.

I also attach a monitoring device called a "ShockWatch" that will turn red indicating 'rough handling' if they drop my crate more than say 8-10"... they come in various degrees of sensitivity so you can match the right one to your shipment depending on size/weight, and I often use one at each end. The idea is that it can help you make a claim stick! The reality is that the haulers are pretty much dictators, so at least the device and the "ShockWatch" warning stickers I put on the Bill of Lading may get a little gentler handling of the box itself.... but I doubt it would help me really make a claim any better. I also emblazen my crates with large black and orange stenciled words "FRAGILE" and "GLASS" all over the place.... seems to work so far.

My remarks cover experiences of 30 years with Yellow, and more recently USF Reddaway, and do not apply to all carriers. Some carriers specialize in artwork (lots more $$$)...others refuse to carry it. I never write down 'artwork' or 'art glass' as contents.... I always put something like "custom glass tile", or "fused glass cabinet panels"...that sort of thing, not ART!

The very best shipping insurance, for me, is a really solid wood crate, with minimum 2" styrofoam board all around. This crate must then be braced and steel banded to a pallete. This makes it easy for the carrier to handle, and also keeps other large freight AWAY from my crate!!!

Ayeeeeiiiii.... I have typed too long. Hope this helps.

Jacques
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Jacques Bordeleau wrote:I was looking into it last year when I had to ship a years worth of work in one crate 2,000 miles via motorfreight. First my insurance agent told me a business policy would cover the shipping....wrong. I have lost only 2 pieces of glass in 30 years of shipping, so the shipping insurance wouldn't have been cheaper... at around $15,000 for 30 years worth (wild ballpark) ... my loss around $2,000 for comparison. I believe they call that 'self-insurance'.

I even photograph the packing process to support any arguments I may end up in with them, but doubt it will ever help much anyway. As if all that is not enough, they will only insure my glass up to $35 a pound I think is how they calculate their limitations (depends on freightlines), obviously not enough anyway.

I also attach a monitoring device called a "ShockWatch" that will turn red indicating 'rough handling' The idea is that it can help you make a claim stick! . I also emblazen my crates with large black and orange stenciled words "FRAGILE" and "GLASS" all over the place.... seems to work so far.

I never write down 'artwork' or 'art glass' as contents.... I always put something like "custom glass tile", or "fused glass cabinet panels"...that sort of thing, not ART!

The very best shipping insurance, for me, is a really solid wood crate, with minimum 2" styrofoam board all around. This crate must then be braced and steel banded to a pallete. This makes it easy for the carrier to handle, and also keeps other large freight AWAY from my crate!!!

Jacques
Similar situation for me. Not a years worth of work, but two crates, shipping over 2000 miles and over $50,000.00 of glass work as well as the booth. So many people do this all of the time, and I knew there must be loopholes to get what I needed. Claiming the contents as custom glass seems to be what I need to do. It's funny how you need to be careful what you call the contents in order to get coverage. I've never done this before so your advice regarding good packing and crates as being the best insurance is good to learn. Shock Watch sounds intrigueing as well. I'll check that out too. But I am trying to insure against the catastrophic event rather than one or two pieces that break from poor packing or rough handling. If the truck rolls, the crates get crushed or dropped, the warehouse burns down, crates are lost or stolen et cetera, that is the level of loss I can't afford to absorb and want to protect myself from. Every item in those crates was photograhed, but not the packing process (too late for that now :roll: )...which is also great advice for any insured thing anybody has.

I can't make any comparison to building a crate as I'm not a carpenter, so don't trust that I could construct a good crate. What I did do is I bought these really nifty plastic crates (more good advice from the board). The base is a pallete as well, so it's a complete package. You load these buggers up on the pallete, attach the walls and the top (I'm going to shrink wrap the top and labels in place) and you're good to go. They can hold 1200 lbs and can stack without crushing. They were not cheap (not outrageous either, used ones are a bargain if they have any), but are collapsible or break down when empty and I will use and reuse without having to purchase or build new wooden palletes or crates every time I ship. Now let's hope I am fortunate enough to have to ship a few times a year. :D I hope they are as bullet proof as your crates since I am counting on them for added protection for the work.

The insurance info I am currently getting (it seems subject to change with the weather) is that business insurance will not cover the shipping unless we attach an inland marine rider. Yes, the rider will be as much as the business insurance per year, but is good for the policy year, not per shipment. So I guess it depends on your level of risk aversion and how often you are shipping and the value of the freight. I am learning a lot, and like all insurance, if you have to file a claim, you better know what is and isn't covered. We are looking at a rider that will cover the contents with limitations (of course) less a deductible. I hope I never have to file a claim, and down the road perhaps I will rue the money that lined the insurance company's wallet, but having experienced catastrophe that would have financially ruined me if I hadn't had insurance, I prefer not to take the risk if I don't have to. That's not to say that "self insuring" is the wrong approach. It's just that I'm not willing to flirt with losing that much of an investment in one fell swoop...or any swoop, fell or not :wink:

This was a really long way to say, thanks to all for the input and information. Every response was appreciated and explored. You all gave me great things to consider and the right avenues to explore to get the answers I was needing.

If anyone is interested in these crates I got you can check them out at http://www.boxx.com. I think they will be great. Time will tell.
Last edited by Cynthia on Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacques Bordeleau

Post by Jacques Bordeleau »

Right Cynthia. it seemed I could get the shipping policy as a standalone, not part of the business policy. The good part was that I could start the policy for X amount of coverage, and when I really needed it, raise the coverage for the duration (say to $50k for a month) then lower it again after the need had passed.... thus saving $$ over a year.... at least this was my agents' suggestion to me.

Those plastic crates do look pretty nice. They should be light weight too, which will save money time and again. The base is not actually a pallet, but allows the use of forklifts, etc for handling which is nice. My referance to a pallete meant the larger wooden pallets we recieve glass shipments on. I save those for re-use, since they are already paid for. I like that they stick out around the crate I mount on them... and by sticking out, help to keep other heavy objects at bay! You could easily mount your large plastic box on a wooden pallet for extra protection it would seem. I tend to re-use my original glass crates from Bullseye or Spectrum (et al) but beef them up with SOLID wood sides (fill the gaps) and extra bracing. They are heavy though and add shipping expense.... but they are very strong when I'm done with them. Other times I fabricate a crate from scratch. I always lose money on crating (argh), but so it goes. I spend $ 50-100 in materials alone, and only can charge $ 200-400 or look like a crook. So I just bite the bullet and build what I know will be needed and try to hurry so as not to lose too much labor. I really wanted the insurance last Fall, but time ran out and I was forced to ship without ($50k worth commission). A small loss I can obsorb... but obviously a complete loss would have been disastrous. I decided the odds were in my favor, and it was fine.... this time.

Jacques
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

You might look into the insurance that is available through ACC Professional membership. They include work in transit as a part of the package. It might help to deal with a company that knows what you do and can match a policy better.
Tim
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Cynthia Oliver wrote:
Similar situation for me. Not a years worth of work, but two crates, shipping over 2000 miles and over $50,000.00 of glass work as well as the booth.....

If anyone is interested in these crates I got you can check them out at http://www.boxx.com. I think they will be great. Time will tell.
Well, at least the shipping and insurance back to Utah should be much less since you will of course have little art glass coming home :lol: That's our wish for you!

Sounds like your show and all its "baggage" are well organized. The crates sound ideal.

Like you and everyone says, this board is great for its wealth of info.

Enjoy!

Jo
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

On another board (Crafts Report, NAIA, John Iverson's or PACA), I noticed several people recommended the services of a shipping company called "Art in Motion", I believe it was called, to ship work to shows. They specialize in shipping art.

I've never used them, don't know anyone personally who's used them, but it might be worth your time to check them out.

Geri