They Can't Ask for A License

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jill

Re: They Can't Ask for A License

Post by Jill »

I always ask for the customer to write their phone number on the cc receipt. Rarely does anyone refuse. I have only ever used the phone numbers to call people after they leave their card or package at my booth - this does happen once or twice a year. I have noticed that more people are not signing the back of their cards, and many cards are so worn out that you cannot compare the signature, which I always do. Some people think it's okay to use their partner's or family member's card, but if I accept it and then the charge is disputed, I'm up the creek.

Years ago a local video store would not give me a membership without three pieces of ID, I only had two, so they demanded my SIN number. I refused and had them call the manager, and he wouldn't let me get a membership so I never went back. All this hassle for a video, the store was referred to as VIDEO FASCHISTS from then on by me and my boyfriend. But we are the kind of customers that hold a grudge for poor service. Once the boyfriend took his microwave in for servicing, and the repair place said they would order a part asap, and six months later they called us. So for years, every time we drove past the place we would shake our fists and yell, "Screw you, St.James TV!"
NancyGoodenough

Re: They Can't Ask for A License

Post by NancyGoodenough »

Terry Curtis wrote:
Susan Moore wrote:So am I breaking the law by making the retailer break the law by asking them to ask me for ID?
Susan
Nope. the rules prohibit a merchant from denying the sale if you don't show your ID
Actually, no, Terry, the rules do not prohibit a merchant from denying this sale. You are actually required to make the customer sign the card and show ID.

Here's the verbage from the Visa pdf mentioned above:

Cards
While checking card security features, you should also make sure that the card
is signed . An unsigned card is considered invalid and should not be accepted . If a
customer gives you an unsigned card, the following steps must be taken:

• Check the cardholder’s ID . Ask the cardholder for some form of official
government identification, such as a driver’s license or passport . Where
permissible by law, the ID serial number and expiration date should be
written on the sales receipt before you complete the transaction .

• Ask the customer to sign the card . The card should be signed within your
full view, and the signature checked against the customer’s signature on the
ID . A refusal to sign means the card is still invalid and cannot be accepted .
Ask the customer for another signed Visa card .

• Compare the signature on the card to the signature on the ID .

If the cardholder refuses to sign the card, and you accept it, you may end up with
financial liability for the transaction should the cardholder later dispute the charge .

“See ID”
Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking
that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not on
the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it . In reality, criminals don’t take the
time to practice signatures: they use cards as quickly as possible after a theft and
prior to the accounts being blocked . They are actually counting on you not to look
at the back of the card and compare signatures—they may even have access to
counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting .
“See ID” or “Ask for ID” is not a valid substitute for a signature . The customer
must sign the card in your presence, as stated above .

The words “Not
Valid Without
Signature”
appear above,
below, or beside
the signature
panel on all Visa
cards.
Nancy Goodenough
Works in Glass and Metal