What kind of trailer

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Deb Lewis

Re: What kind of trailer

Post by Deb Lewis »

Pay attention to what kind of doors they have. Some come with "barn doors" that that open out. Others have a ramp that you pull down. The advantage of barn doors is that they take up less space when opening. The ramp is nice if you have room because you can roll things in and out easily. It's also nice if they have a side door.

Definitely if you buy one with a ramp be sure you also have a side door for those times you don't have room to let the ramp down.

Lots of sizes, lots of brands. Be sure to walk inside and consider how you'll use the space. What looks large at first won't when you consider placing shelving, walkway, etc. inside. Yet you don't want something so big that you have trouble keeping items from shifting around.

The hitch that comes on many suv's now isn't always enough to pull even a small trailer. You may have to add a class II or III hitch.
My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
tom suter

Post by tom suter »

I can not advise you on what type of trailer but I can tell you about is that they are getting really strict on enforcing commercial trailer restrictions. I was at a show recently and asked about getting a trailer, I was thinking about getting a 8 x 10 enclosed. I was told that after one show a Huffman Production (not that it had anything to do with them) when they were coming back across state line 14 people got their license pulled on the spot for not complying with fed dot laws. This means having commercial license, commercial plates commercial insurance and mostly like a log book. I am not sure if this is only going across state lines or not. I have not checked on it any futher. I do have a commercial license but I can actully fit everything in my van rather snuggly, but all fits in that I most likely will not pursue that idea anymore.

Has anyone else heard of any stories such as that. It is something you might want to check with your local DOT and see what if any Federal laws would apply to you.

Tom
Tom
Head Fool @ Tom's Foolery
http://www.picturetrail.com/tomsfoolery
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i know that here in nc they have tightened up on trailer towing, boats included. got to have the 100/yr weighted tag. they will make you leave your stuff on the side of the road. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Stan Harmon

Post by Stan Harmon »

I've owned a small trailer (7x16) enclosed with a single axle. It had rear barn doors, a side door, single roll up opaque roof skylight and a battery operated ceiling light(powered by disposable batteries) and had the v-shaped front for better wind resistance. Great trailer. The only drawback was the roof design. It was flat. Flat roofs..... usually..... are a sign of cheaply made trailers.

Pay the extra dollars for a rounded edge roof system. Usually.....they are a sign of a better quality trailer.The trailer will give you less maintenance problems and will be worth more when you sell it later. I kept the trailer parked with the roof tilted when not in use otherwise water would collect.

Two axles are much preferred as they will carry more weight and usually will get you to a safe spot to change a flat tire when one goes out on you in the most inopertune time or place. The extra axle will jump the cost of the trailer about $1000-2000. How much is peace of mind worth? A good jack and portable air tank were more economical in my case. Stan....with too many trailers