C.O.D. advice?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

K Okahashi

C.O.D. advice?

Post by K Okahashi »

Anyone have experience sending items COD? I have a large order that will be going out in a week and have an agreement to send it COD for the remaining balance.

I know UPS and I think Fedex does this but just thought I'd check to get any suggestions, experience and/or advice on sending the shipment out. (Obviously, this is my first shipment going out this way).

Thanks so much for your advice!
keiko
Marty

Post by Marty »

If you're sending out multiple boxes, put a COD tag on each one for the value of that box.
Charge the customer for ALL the shipping charges.
UPS will collect cash or check- you have to decide what your level of risk is.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Neither UPS nor FedEx will accept cash on COD orders. The take money order, cashier's check, or bank check. You assume the risk for bad checks.

One drawback with using COD -- if the customer refuses the shipment, you get stuck with the bill.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I thought UPS took cash and gave you a UPS check? Do I need to update my memory again?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote:I thought UPS took cash and gave you a UPS check? Do I need to update my memory again?
Yep. They recently changed their policy and no longer accept cash. http://www.ups.com/using/services/accs/cod-guide.html
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

You may want to give the customer a call letting them know to expect the shipment and what the COD amount is.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

I already received half of the payment up front so I don't think they will back out as our agreement specified it was a non-refundable, non returnable special order and they have samples that are matched. They just requested that I send the order as COD. I think the idea of a money order or bank check would be best just in case.

As always, thank you for your help! It's just nice to touch base with those who have done this before. :D
keiko
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

COD is a pain. UPS once managed to cash a COD cheque that was made out to my company. That took months to sort out and eventually got the money. If you have a flaky customer they will take all the boxes without the COD tag and refuse it. You are really better off to say Pre Pay where you have the cheque deposited and cleared the bank before you send the shipment. The prepay method necessitates packing everything and having the boxes hang around your studio until the cheques arrive. Faster is to use Visa. You could point out to the customer that you charge a "shipping and handling" fee (that will cover your visa expense) that will be less than sending the shipment COD for each box. Much easier.