Holiday Open house

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jane

Holiday Open house

Post by Jane »

I was wondering how many of you do a holiday open house? I've had thoughts on doing this for a few years. Just wondering about pros and cons.

Jane
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

I did it last year in the bay area and had a huge response. One thing to consider if you are inviting friend's of friends or colleagues or aquaintances: try to bring in another one or two folks who do things other than glass. We had a friend who just bought a bakery and specialized in high end desserts, another one was a ceramacist. We asked these two to join us as their products complimented our glasswork. We all went in together to buy the wine to help folks loosen up to buy. We did it at our house and got a lot of repeat business after that. We went all out with decorations and layout.

It's a great way to introduce your stuff. I'd be a little hesitant to really open up our home to strangers though but that's just us. Go classy if you can, it can really makes an impact if you are going for the high end buyers.

Good luck!
Jane

Post by Jane »

Thank you Keiko for the help.

Jane
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I've not done my own...but participate in one that is hosted by a local big wig who has half a dozen artists in her home to display and sell work. It's really a nice gig, by invitation only, and since she does it for fun rather than profit. Her mailing list is full of the deepest pockets in my community and it's always very profitable for me. I get lots of sales down the road from this one too.

We (the artists and our host) split the costs of the mailing, the printing of the invitations and take away cards (provide your own as well) and the wine and food. Set up and take down is up to the artists, and we all help with the clean up.

If you can put together a nice show...go for it. It's a good idea to have a few different artists represented as Keiko suggested. They will provide a new audience from their mailing lists as well. It makes for a more interesting event if you are serving more than just one style of goody.
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I get nervous when I hear of wine, etc. at a selling event. I'm not sure of the liability issues but the art center here and several others that I know have gone to a selling/donation for drinks and use a licensed vendor because the insurance won't cover them should there be trouble with some one attending such as an accident on the way home.

I don't think you have to worry so much about who attends giving you trouble but more so the person in the other car suing you for making/giving away the wine.

Susan
mbeth

Post by mbeth »

I've been doing open houses for several years. They're alot of work but alot of fun. I do coffee/cookies instead of wine. Mine are held usually from 10-6 on Fri and Sat of opening weekend of deer hunting. I work them like a "fancy rummage sale". I empty the house of all that is "ours", then set out the glass. Run a display ad in the paper, put plenty of signs up in the 'hood and one in front of your house. Good holiday music and decorate for the season (outside as well as inside). Light non scented candles, backlight with Christmas white lites wherever possbile to make your glass really shine. Keep a movie in the VCR for shoppers with kids and herd them to the tv as soon as they show up. Everyone loves that, I love it cuz it keeps kids away from the glass, kids love it cuz they're sick of "being good", moms love it cuz they don't have to worry about the kids. Get alot of throw rugs to lay down. You'll be surprised at how many people are concerned about getting your floors dirty. Greet everyone that comes through the door. Small talk is a great ice breaker. Stay around but not in the way. Enlist help, you'll have slow times where one can handle the sales, but busy times where you'll need someone to work the $$ while another packs while you talk about special orders. It's not only about what you can make on this sale, it's great exposure for future sales. I have alot of repeat customers that order throughout the year. Do a door prize or two, have a book for signing up for mailings. Take orders but keep a deadline in mind and allow for your "life". Accept orders only up to a certain date, any other ones won't be guarenteed before Christmas. You'ld be surprised at how many people are willing to wait for delivery. I have great customers and they've already started to call to check to make sure I'm doing the sale again this year.
Good luck and have fun! But do it! It's worth all the work!!
Mary
Jane

Post by Jane »

Thank You all have replied to me. It's been a great help. I can't wait to give it try.

Jane
Kristalwick

Post by Kristalwick »

Just had my 6th annual open studio this past Sat. I had it from 10 am (the coffee & cookie crowd) to 8 pm (the wine & cheese crowd). Believe it or not the last guests left at 11:30 pm! WOW, was I tired....well worth it though, the last 2 guests spent over $1800. My total sales for the day was a bit over $5000 with orders and phone calls still coming in.

I LOVE my open studio shows (except for the cleaning!!!).
It was much leaner the first few years, but now I have quite a following and many folks bring their entire shopping list!

The first few years I had a few other artists join me but now just do it myself because I have sooooo much inventory! I sent out 2 mailings this year which was new. My mailing list is 550, so a bit pricy, but I sent out a postcard 3 weeks ahead, then a reminder postcard the week of the event. I think this made a huge difference, about 85-100 showed up.
I also included my website address on my postcards so they could preview: http://www.kristalwickstudio.com.

I keep track of my mailing list and make sure it's up to date, collecting addresses all year long every chance I get, shows, someone comments on my great jewelry, I ask them if they want to be on the mailing list, etc. It's gold to me and often overlooked by many artists.

I also do tons of door prizes and people get an extra entry for every friend they bring.

For some of my long time customers, I offer a friend and family discount, 10% off their total if they purchase over $100.

I also did a new feature this year, a 50% off table on the back patio (thankfully it didn't snow!!!). I wasn't sure this would be a good idea, maybe people would only buy the cheap stuff...I was wrong, they usually bought both the cehap and regular stuff and it was great to get rid of that old inventory I had hanging around taking up space in my studio.

Good luck and have fun. It's always one of my favorite events as an artist, you get to see old friends and customers as well as make $$$$
Jane

Post by Jane »

Kirstalwick,

Wow you did very well...I'm glad to hear it. I like your ideas. Now just to do it. Next year for sure.

Thank You,

Jane
Susan Slack

Post by Susan Slack »

I just did my first holiday open house. It was quite a success. I had 4 other artists and everyone was happy with the results. I plan on doing it next year and have several artists who are also interested in joining in. We had wine and cheese on Friday night. Each person that wanted wine, had one small glass. It did not seem to be a problem. We did fruit punch on Sat and Sun. with cheese and crackers. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. I am doing 2 more at other homes. We shall see. Susan
Susan from Green Oaks
Jane

Post by Jane »

Susan,

Good luck and I hope you did well at the other open houses. Next year I'm going to do my first. This year I decide just not enough in stock.

Jane