I need health insurance--help!

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

alyssa oxley

I need health insurance--help!

Post by alyssa oxley »

i find myself faced with the ugly task of getting health insurance. is there an artist group plan i can join??? help!
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

ACC offers insurance for artist's work. They may offer health insurance, as well.

Geri
Marty

Post by Marty »

Alyssa- talk to Jenny David. Marty
alyssa oxley

Post by alyssa oxley »

don't i know you?
molly

Post by molly »

I would be interested in looking into some health insurance as well. Any other pointers?
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

I live in NY city and it was scarey for me when my COBRA was expiring. Fortunately, NY State offers, "Healthy NY" a way for small business owners and individuals to get affordable, basic healthcare. I think I pay $167 a month with a $20 copay (very cheap for this area). For $20 more a month I could have received the prescription drug program too, but I opted out this time.

If you're in NY, here's the link to the website:

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/healthny.htm

If you're not in NY, I recommend checking with your state gov website to see if similar options exist.

Good luck!

Melissa
Melissa Terman
Leslie Ihde

health ins.

Post by Leslie Ihde »

I am paid by health insurance companies as a therapist and I am self-employed so I pay for health insurance. Most states have insurance for the self-employed, artist or not. Contact your small business administration in your area. In my opinion, if you are healthy, you mainly want catastrophic coverage which is very good. After that, you will save money by having a high deductible policy and paying as you go for normal health issues. If you have a health issue, or anticipate one, you will need a lower deductible rate. But watch that catastrophic coverage- not having that can make you bankrupt if you have a major illness or injury. In New York SSA is good.

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

having been self-employed off and on for the last 20 years, I have found a good method for health insurance. It's by joining your local Chamber of Commerce. Health insurance is one of the benefits as well as all the contacts you can make at functions.

I have a family so my policy runs on the average about $750 a month but this is a solid coverage plan, not just emergency. My wife went to work a year ago, so we now use her companies policy.

ONE thing to BE AWARE of. It may do you well to list your occupation as something other than "artist"! Most insurance companies will put the "artist" into a high-risk category due to AIDs. So pick something like production assistant, CEO, president of media company or other vague terms and steer away from the artist title when filling out the applications.

The same goes for life insurance. I am a very healthy 41 year old male and had to pay more than my wife's policy (even though she had been previously paralyzed due to Gillian Berrets Syndrome). I listed my occupation as artist and she listed hers as homemaker.

Its also good to get your company (self) turned into a LLC instead of a sole proprietor, especially if you hire employees or farm out a lot of work to other artist. This keeps your personal assets safer from lawsuits, taxes and chapter 13's. Trust me!!!, I know from personal experience. Getting a liability insurance is also a smart idea. Its not as expensive as you think and it covers you from law suites. Remember, these days you do not have to do something wrong to be sued... it just takes a cup of hot coffee :wink:
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Who is Jenny David and can she help me if I live in Utah?

Jack
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jack Bowman wrote:Who is Jenny David and can she help me if I live in Utah?

Jack
I'm sorry Jack - no one can help you if you live in Utah :wink:
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
Jack Bowman wrote:Who is Jenny David and can she help me if I live in Utah?

Jack
I'm sorry Jack - no one can help you if you live in Utah :wink:
Sad, but true. Maybe a change is coming soon.

Jack
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jack- Jenny is a friend of mine, in my town, recently involved in this very quest (but I'm not sure what the outcome was). Alyssa, who started this thread, works with me and has met Jenny but doesn't remember doing so.
Clear? Now Alyssa's friend, Kelly (not Kelly Alge), whose first husband's mom......

Marty

And actually, Jenny is a jeweler's rep (art jewelry from all over) and single. Are you? (just trying to help).
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Marty wrote:Jack- Jenny is a friend of mine, in my town, recently involved in this very quest (but I'm not sure what the outcome was). Alyssa, who started this thread, works with me and has met Jenny but doesn't remember doing so.
Clear? Now Alyssa's friend, Kelly (not Kelly Alge), whose first husband's mom......

Marty

And actually, Jenny is a jeweler's rep (art jewelry from all over) and single. Are you? (just trying to help).

Marty,

Single? Not since 1972. Although my wife threatens that I will be soon if I don't ... I can't list it all here, but much of it has to do with glass. I think she's just suffering from an overdose of Utah.

I will be talking to the local Chamber of Commerce tomorrow about insurance.

Hey, I know a Kelly, and believe it or not, her first husbands mom... Maybe it's the same Kelly.

Jack
Lisa Feldman

health insurance

Post by Lisa Feldman »

Alyssa,
I belong to an organization called New York Artists Equity Assoc (NYAEA). It's an arts advocacy group for New York residents only. One of the most important things we do is offer group health insurance for individual artists. The premium is not cheap and it's basic coverage, but it's better than nothing. Their number is (212) 941-0130. Ask for Jane Martin. Good luck.
alyssa oxley

Post by alyssa oxley »

hey, thanks to all for the advice and info--i'm pretty busy procrastinating on the insurance issue. but i'm getting a little glass made...