Tents

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ann Demko

Tents

Post by Ann Demko »

:?: Where is a good place to buy a display tent for an outside show. My first show and I don't have a lot (lets qualify that...none to spare) of money. I have talked to others who have been doing shows in all kinds of mediums and they all sem to have the cadillacs of tents that run into the 3 figure range. I checked the archives and didn't find any sources listed. Thanks Ann
Dakota

Tents

Post by Dakota »

I found a 10' by 10' canopy at Target for about $30.
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

Go to Sams or BJ wholesale . You can get a easy up for around 200.00 this includes the sides. :lol:
Christyn Mattson

Post by Christyn Mattson »

Check ebay for EZup. You can find brand new ones that are reasonable and usually include all the bells and whistles for much less. I had one from Target that blew away and was totally ruined after just one show. Good luck!
Christyn
dee

Post by dee »

Alice DeGraff wrote:Go to Sams or BJ wholesale . You can get a easy up for around 200.00 this includes the sides. :lol:
while the easy ups are cheap they are the first ones to try and fly at a windy show, you'll need to devise a weight system as well as making sure it comes with good stakes - when you can afford it, the light dome is around $800 complete but you'll only buy it once and it can be weighted and/or staked - i tend to do both when possible - and i can put it up by myself when there's no help around ;P

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Ann,

Dee is correct regarding the light dome. We bought the EZ Up because we were burning up in the hot sun. :oops: However, the cheap one we bought is NOT waterproof :evil: Therefore, when we had heavy dew we would find lot of drops of water inside the tent. And God forbid it would rain. I don't do that many outdoor shows anymore. But if you get the EZ Up, be sure to cover your items with plastic before leaving. That is if you live in a "dewey" area. Also you can place hoola hoops or noodles in each corner to avoid puddling.

Judy
Carole Burton

Tents

Post by Carole Burton »

Please check the archives for the different kinds of weights for canopies a month or so ago. I never do a show without them....and still have my original heavy duty EZ UP canopy. But will get a dome type next due to water pooling on the top during rain. Save yourself a lot of grief, take weights . Good luck on your new adventure.........Carole.....
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I vote for the Arch top with skylight and if you want the screen side option. We love ours and was an excellent investment. We don't do many outside shows but have used it as a portable studio for 4 months solid so it got lots of tests in all kinds of weather.

Weights are a MUST no matter which tent but sep. with an EZ fly. Check the archives. Weights must be hung so they do not touch the ground or you won't get as good of staying power. Strap them with a bungee to the tent pole just to keep them from swaying. If you can, use the dog tie downs, corkscrews, do that also. We used 3 dog ties, 4 weights and x'd nail stakes last summer and withstood 80+ mph winds twice and many storms of 40-60 mph gusts. No leakage from the rain and only had the screen cover blow in twice but that was fine since it let the wind through. We did have a tie down to the liquid oxygen tanks as a backup but I really don't think that made a difference since the x stakes never came out of the ground.

Susan W
Ann Demko

thanks

Post by Ann Demko »

Thank you all for your great info. Experience is a wonderful teacher and I appreciate your sharing all your found knowledge with me. :lol:
Bert Weiss

Re: thanks

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ann Demko wrote:Thank you all for your great info. Experience is a wonderful teacher and I appreciate your sharing all your found knowledge with me. :lol:
My advise to you is to be sure and charge "retail" prices. unless you charge enough to compensate yourself and have enough left over to invest in a quality booth setup, you won't last long in show business.

The hook
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Ann Demko

berts advice

Post by Ann Demko »

Bert, Thanks for the tip. I agree, proper pricing is a must for the continuation of my hopefull business but it is so hard to figue a good price. Go to gallerys and the prices are 400 to 500 for a beautiful 12" object and then go to a Art/ Craft show and see pieces that are 1/2 the price. I just put some pieces that I consider primarily art instead of functional and have wrecked havoc to my brain trying to figure pricing. One minute it is way too much, next too little. I am trying to sell a product no one around here recognizes, never having seen the "stuff" before so I am probably a little timid about pricing. Anyway, I guess I'll find out when my stuff sits for six months gathering dust.
Carole Burton

Tents

Post by Carole Burton »

I too, have found pricing is difficult to determine. A teacher once told the class if you don't charge enough for your work the customers want think your work is worth anything. That was good for moi
who tends to under price my work. Pricing come with experience, a lot of it. Carole.......s.c.