Looking for suggestions for booth displays

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Andrew

Looking for suggestions for booth displays

Post by Andrew »

I am looking for suggestions for booth displays. My work consists of a variety of pieces - some 2 dimensional hanging pieces, some bowls and other pedestal pieces, along with some pendants, pins, and earrings.

I need a display that can be transported in a single large SUV (I've got a roof rack too), and can easily and quickly be set up by a single person. I'd also like something classy and visually inviting . . .

And yes, expense is always an issue.

What have you seen and/or used that works well?
Marty

Post by Marty »

and it should be inflatable and disposable.

Andrew- start with the archives- each subject you mentioned (and many you didn't) has been discussed here before- which doesn't mean we can't do it again...

And I suppose the show is next weekend?

The best thing you can do is to go to lots of shows and look at what other craftspeople are doing. The next best is to check the resources at The Crafts Report.

Marty
dee

Re: Looking for suggestions for booth displays

Post by dee »

Andrew wrote:I am looking for suggestions for booth displays. My work consists of a variety of pieces - some 2 dimensional hanging pieces, some bowls and other pedestal pieces, along with some pendants, pins, and earrings.

I need a display that can be transported in a single large SUV (I've got a roof rack too), and can easily and quickly be set up by a single person. I'd also like something classy and visually inviting . . .

And yes, expense is always an issue.

What have you seen and/or used that works well?
andrew - for jewelry/pedestal type pieces, i have a variety of pedestals from dynamic display systems - http://www.dynamicdisplaysystems.com - and for hanging pieces the 2' x 6' grids that you can buy from elaine martin co or dealer's display i think also carries them - i have a nissan pathfinder and it all fits in there along with the canopy and inventory and cooler and suitcase - lightdome - and am thinking that w/o the grids and by taking only the jewelry i can even fit it all in my little sunfire as the pathfinder will be going off with my daughter to md this summer when she starts her work study program up there....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

A little public crow-eating; I didn't mean to be snide, merely rude and humorous, and I shouldn't have done even that, at least the rude part.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Andrew - Like many of us, you're on the search for the perfect display for shows.

After doing shows for 12 years, I still haven't found the perfect display. I've had at least 6 or 7 different permutations. LOL.

The best advice I can give you is to match your displays to the kind of customer you're trying to appeal to with your work. If your customer is the same kind of person who shops at Macy's, go look at the displays at Macy's for ideas. If your customer is the same kind of person who shops at spendy upscale galleries, check their displays out for ideas.

Another piece of advice is to see if you can find something locally that's been used and is in good condition. I've displayed my tiny pendants at on a tie rack that I got from a Nordstrom's that went out of business. I modified it slightly to suit my needs. I think I'll be retiring it this year, though. It's quite nice...heavy duty metal and plexi. I'm sure they paid quite a bit for it. I think I got it for $2.

I got some grid walls from a gallery that used to sell my work that went out of business, as well as a huge plexiglass riser.

Another idea is to look at lower end furniture stores like IKEA that sell furniture that looks remarkably like store fixtures. I have 3 metal and wood shelving units that I bought from them several years ago. They break down so they'll fit in a van. The down side is that they're really a pain to assemble/disassemble and so I'll be replacing 1 or 2 of them this year.

Another place to look is a store fixtures store. They carry things like grid walls, shelving, jewelry cases. I bought an all glass jewelry case at one of them to display my sterling/glass jewelry in a gallery many years ago. It's nice, but unfortunately, it's so heavy I can't use it at shows because I can't move it alone. I now have a Dynamic Displays jewelry case which breaks down and is partially plexiglass, which keeps the weight down.

When you find the perfect display, let us know! LOL. I'll be redesigning my display again over the next few months and I'd love to hear more ideas.

Geri
Last edited by Geri Comstock on Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Perfection in an imperfect world

Post by Andrew »

Marty, come back. All is forgiven.

Geri -

Yes I'm looking for the perfectly flexible, mutable, adaptable, packable, configurable, solidly built, easily assembled, lightweight, weatherproof, elegant display. Heck, I'd even pay money for it (well, maybe not that much, but something). And ok Marty, if it is inflatable, I'll love it even more - although truth be told I don't play with inflatable toys . . . ahem.

Unfortunately, I don't live near a major metropolitan area - the nearest Ikea is something like six driving hour away. I know what you are saying about my customers. I do most of my set-up by myself and am tired of lugging wood frames and boards around. Offline, Marty mentioned Abstracta, and I called them for a catalog.

I've rebuilt my displays 3 times in 6 years and was beginning to think that there was something wrong with me, but it seems like others do the same. Either I'm ok, or we are all over the edge and the answer to that is self evident.

Glass artists. Go figure.

Andrew
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Andrew -

Actually, I'm looking for a display that has all of the qualities you mentioned, plus the added feature of unpacking and assembling itself with the press of a button.

Let me know if you run across one of these.

Laughing -

Geri
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Hi Andrew-

Check out: http://www.armstrongproducts.com/index.htm

I am going to start buying from them piece by piece until I get a whole display.

Pat Loboda
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Geri for instant displays check out http://www.nomadicdisplay.com Spendy but truly beautiful to use. An 8ft x 10ft wall in seconds.
Kevin in Tofino
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I like this arrangement, it's nice and airy and room to attach lighting...

http://www.armstrongproducts.com/55arngmt.htm
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

My first show will be in March. I purchased pedestals from http://www.easypedestal.com They look great, really show off the work and are so easy to put together. All i have to do now is figure out how to transport them without "banging" them up.

Hope this site helps.
Kim
tom suter

Displays

Post by tom suter »

I also got the displays from Armstrong I have about 11 racks some that are open for hanging my panels off several screen and a couple with the shelfs. They are very lightweight I think 6 pounds a piece and pnce you have set it up once and know how to do it it only takes a couple of minutes to fold them up and carry them. Its very easy but it is expensive but I think they look very proffesional. I actually used them in a store front for some times but I have moved out of there and got them foldeed up in the basement and really do not take up that much room. And you can get them with an adjustable legs for setting up on uneven ground
Tom
Head Fool @ Tom's Foolery
http://www.picturetrail.com/tomsfoolery