Where?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Where?

Post by Haydo »

Do you think the small contemporary kilnforming studio is heading? I'm a bit like Noah, not giving up on the boat idea. So much I read about studio down sizing and closures. I wonder what keeps me beleiving I'm on the right track,...am I wilderbeast? peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Lauri Levanto

Re: Where?

Post by Lauri Levanto »

At least here the kilnforming seem sto follow the track of tiffany.
First it is a hobby fad. Then some want to advance to professionals.
For a professional to get butter on bread, (s)he starts teaching.
That's the business.
It also erodes them arkets for mediocre products.
Some people however get over the hedge, and can sell with pirces that allow a full time work.
The fused ART market is small, you have to be really good to enter it.
-lauri
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

-lauri
I guess that is one of the good reasons I'm still in R&D mode. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Lauri Levanto wrote:At least here the kilnforming seem sto follow the track of tiffany.
First it is a hobby fad. Then some want to advance to professionals.
For a professional to get butter on bread, (s)he starts teaching.
That's the business.
It also erodes them arkets for mediocre products.
Some people however get over the hedge, and can sell with pirces that allow a full time work.
-lauri
I've been doing the glass thang now since early 2000 or so. I've definitely seen it progress in the ways Lauri described above. When I started, it was the most fun, cutting-edge hobby ever. Every technique seemed new and fresh, it wasn't yet commercially produced en masse (fused platters as well as lampworked beads). I would venture say it hasn't so much "changed" as "matured". Some artists have proven their vision and risen to the top (however one defines that), others have moved on to other pursuits. New enthusiasts will enter the medium and experience same. It's all part of a natural progression that can be seen in every field.
I would add one more thought to Lauri's observations though; The fused art market is indeed small and one does have to be really good to enter it, However....if one's art is that good, it occassionally attracts those from outside the fused art market and/or those who otherwise might not have considered fused glass to begin with.
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . The fused art market is indeed small and one does have to be really good to enter it, However....if one's art is that good, it occassionally attracts those from outside the fused art market and/or those who otherwise might not have considered fused glass to begin with.

Or, those already in the fused glass community who have no qualms about stealing designs.
This happens WAY too much . . .
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Brock wrote:Or, those already in the fused glass community who have no qualms about stealing designs.
This happens WAY too much . . .
Take out the words "fused glass" and insert any other profession (ceramic, painting, computer programing, political, jouralistic, music, poetic, etc.) and it still holds true :wink:

DOLORES
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Broke wrote ....if one's art is that good, it occassionally attracts those from outside the fused art market and/or those who otherwise might not have considered fused glass to begin with.
This is probably why I allowed my wife to pester me enough to take part in a life drawing class coupled with a lino print. Happens on Sunday, it will be good I'm hoping to be around like minded people into art. peace, haydo
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I must add to previous post that I can make an image from graphite, but only now feel loose enough to make an object my own. peace, hgaydo (yes, I'm ......)

I reaslly wantb to b drinkingk tube much. really, OPK, maybe , not,.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Haydo wrote:
This is probably why I allowed my wife to pester me enough to take part in a life drawing class coupled with a lino print. Happens on Sunday, it will be good I'm hoping to be around like minded people into art. peace, haydo
Doing new things is good for creativity (if you believe Lehrer and his recent book).

:) Dana W.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I mention what I'm up to,to the fella's at work just to see reaction. All I know is that work is definately not doing it for me except to make me yearn. Once most of my major cvommittments are dealt with I could see myself backing off the merry go round. Make espresso, pour drinks, maintain schoolyards plus assist art department ,or whatever produces a bit of cash without doing sixty hour weeks. , peace, haydo
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

I hope that happens for you soon, Haydo.
Tod

Post by Tod »

I hope that happens soon for all of us, Nina ;- }
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book