Replace broken piece?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Valerie Adams

Re: Replace broken piece?

Post by Valerie Adams »

When I expressed surprise that the piece had broken, I asked the assistant what happened. She said, "I'm not really sure." When I asked if it was dropped, the reply was, "I don't know; she told me it never made it out of the car and she wants to know what you'll do about it." I was taken aback and didn't really know what to do, or offer, so I said I'd get back to her. That's when I posted my question, and I'm glad I did. I was feeling like I had to replace it, but also felt she was trying to take advantage of the situation.

I did try to leave both of us feeling ok by telling the assistant that if Ms. XXX decides to purchase from me again, that I'd extend the same percentage discount on the next piece.
Cynthia O

Post by Cynthia O »

Valerie Adams wrote:So I finally received the photo a few moments ago. My response was that it's obvious there was quite an impact to the piece so I can't take responsibility for it. I've offered to remake it and ship it, and quoted my regular price to do so. Thanks for all the great advice!
broken.jpg
That looks like it was crushed...like she put her bowling bag on it in a cavalier, toss it in the back, kind of way.
http://cynthiaoliver.blogspot.com/

"A happy childhood has spoiled many a promising life."
Robertson Davies
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

the language is odd. that "the piece had some impact on the groceries". wasn't it the other way around?
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

It's about what I'd expect a piece to look like - if I'd taken my studio hammer to it! Surely she did realize she was buying glass, not plastic??
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson