California Homeowners Insurance

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Leslie

California Homeowners Insurance

Post by Leslie »

Hello,
I am in Southern California and hoped someone knew of insurance companies that don't mind if you have a kiln in the garage. I've been checking around and it seems to be a problem. Has anybody found one please?
sbaddley

Re: California Homeowners Insurance

Post by sbaddley »

If you are/were military or if you have family member who are/were military you can get USAA Insurance. They don't object to kilns unless it is for business purposes--then you need to get business insurance.
Scott B
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

No military and my daughter does craft fairs. The kiln is in my garage, but it's her business. So would I need to get two insurance policies? I had no idea that this would get so complicated.....

Thanks.
Leslie
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

Yep. I have three kilns and a torch in our basement. All are for hobby use so my homeowners covers it. My wife does long arm quilting in our basement, and since it's a business, she has to have a separate policy on her sewing machine (and liability if someone slips on our walkway) costing over $700/yr. Go figure.
Scott B
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Leslie,

I was able to get a liability policy for my business through State Farm. I did already have a long standing homeowners policy with them though, which might have helped. It also covers my equipment in case of loss during disaster.

DOLORES
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I contacted some independent insurance agencies and one of them told me Mercury insurance would cover me. Hoping for some competition as it is much higher than I'm paying now. I'll post if they come up with some other places.

thanks.
Leslie
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

My wife uses The Hartford for her business insurance.
Scott B
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

If you're a member of the American Craft Council, I believe they have group rates available. Please let us know what you find out.