Donating your work to auctions

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

GuyKass

Donating your work to auctions

Post by GuyKass »

Somebody posted a link to this article about donating your work on the Craftweb board.

While I don't want to seem uncharitable, I totally agree with the article...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mat-gleas ... 72953.html
Marty

Re: Donating your work to auctions

Post by Marty »

I've been sending out a form letter in response- feel free to copy and revise:

Dear -----, 
While I am flattered by your solicitation (and curious as to how you found me) I must decline your offer. I am asked for many donations each year and must be careful not to give away the store. I usually donate to a few favorite local charities.

I wonder if you are aware that, as a producing artist, I can only deduct as a charitable contribution the cost of my materials, which is the smallest portion of the cost of a piece. 

As to the publicity quid-pro-quo implied in these exchanges, it usually doesn't happen- subsequent sales or even contacts are rare. Even at the large charity glass auctions there is a sense of bargain hunting that does little to further an artist's career. 

There's a curious thing about these auctions (and having a wife who works in not-for-profit administration, I've been to more than my share of "galas")- one rarely sees the services of the local professionals offered. How about a consultation with a lawyer? Teeth whitening by a local dentist? Financial planning? Medical checkup? It's an untapped resource.

I've actually done some research on this, and been on discussion panels as well, and could happily talk at length on the topic. Don't hesitate to call me.
Sincerely, 

Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

There are auctions and there are auctions.

My pet peeve is being called on the phone by the police or firemens's funds. The chances these are real charities or ones who actually distribute most of their funds are nil. When my phone was listed as a business phone, these calls were the most common I got.

I have about 4 local nonprofit organizations whose auctions I donate to every year, my local animal shelter, a local nature education center, and 2 public TV's. I am able to afford to give a lot more this way, then if I had to send cash.

The animal shelter has 2 auctions every year, a dinner dance, and a brunch. They depend on these fund raisers to keep the doors open. They have a silent and live auction. My work usually goes in the live auction. Some years they get above retail value, and some years less. When the item (lately bowls) sells, the auctioneer offers the competing bidder another one at the selling price. They always say yes. Lately they have been inviting me to come with free or low cost tickets to the event. I am thrilled to be able to raise money for them. The big deal for me came at one of the first of these events. I donated some sushi plates that I didn't love. It turned out that my friends bought them. I later traded them for better pieces. Since then, I only donate the good stuff.

The public TV thing is free TV publicity, state wide. I have made plenty of money for them. My peeve here, is that it doesn't count toward actually being a member. But, I don't really care. NH sends volunteers to my area to pick up the work, every year, which is nice. Their TV signal does not even come close to reaching my house though. Maine, makes me bring it to them, which doesn't always happen. Their TV signal is almost strong enough to get to my house, but the radio signal is good and awakens me daily.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

If you are looking for exposure, check into Gallery Walks. It seems like every town has them these days (at least in this neck of the woods). You're more likely to find serious "buyers" at these events.

Dana W.
Judd

Post by Judd »

I donate to what's important to me: gay rights, AIDS activism, education. I donate, meaning I don't expect publicity or clients. The irony is that I have gotten some publicity and clients. Thanks be to karma.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I've attended the Pilchuck Auction for 22 years, besides supporting various charities and causes here in Vancouver for longer. In all that time and all those events I do know of one artist whose career took off from the publicity. One . . .
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I've donated a few panels to the American Glass Guild conference annual auctions. I like what they do with the funds, and I'm flattered by the fact that somebody who knows glass buys one of my pieces and presumably displays it in their home. As far as career enhancement, yes, I've become bigger than Chihuly due to my AGG auction exposure. I'm huge now.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Marty, just used your letter on the latest request. *sigh*...
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

Many schools in my area have mini "arts/crafts fairs" and they ask for a donation for auction in addition to their (very low!) table fee. I don't mind these at all - normally people lose the auction and come to my table to buy one of whatever I donated. I've sent a few pieces to charities, but I very much limit it to 1. Causes i believe in, and 2. Small outfits that genuinely need funds. And 3. Not too many per year! :)