Craft shows

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cate G

Craft shows

Post by Cate G »

For those of you who participate in fine art and craft shows, what is selling for you? I had a booth at the Woodstock/ New Paltz, NY spring show. It was the first semi-big show I've done. Tons of people, even though the weather wasn't the best. I sold no fused glass bowls/ plates/ platters at all, which surprised me. I have been making these fish wind chimes for many years, and that is what sold, so the weekend wasn't a complete bust. I thought the economy was picking up a bit.
Cate
Eryc F.

Re: Craft shows

Post by Eryc F. »

I just did a show (Wrentham, MA) and sold mostly small candle plates and matching coasters.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I agree -- candle/soap dishes and coasters.

And anything with a dragonfly. I'm going to give in and just start making d@mned dragonflies. :roll:

Dana W.
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

<off topic>
funny, I have fused apple suncatchers a friend bought for his wife. She wanted butterflies, and four people said "Ohhhh, butterflies!" so fine, I'll do butterflies.
</off topic>

I think people are a little afraid of stained glass works. They NORMALLY only see them in churches and "fancy" houses, and can't imagine owning them. My booth "frames" intentionally look like windows and I explain that people can hang them from the top of a window frame.

Fused pieces are more "approachable". Everyone has dishes, coasters, candle plates, fridge magnets. This is art with a FUNCTION, while stained glass tends to be art for art's sake.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

So many "craft" shows are now flooded with beginner type fused glass that I think lots of discriminating buyers are giving it a pass.
There is still a somewhat quieted market for "Gallery" quality work in the right venue.......Otherwise inexpensive suncatchers and pendants are your product of choice! :(
"The Glassman"
Marty

Post by Marty »

DonMcClennen wrote:So many "craft" shows are now flooded with beginner type fused glass that I think lots of discriminating buyers are giving it a pass.
There is still a somewhat quieted market for "Gallery" quality work in the right venue.......Otherwise inexpensive suncatchers and pendants are your product of choice! :(
Somewhat quieted? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I think I was the only fused glass artist at New Paltz, and know I was the only person with lampwork beads and jewelry. I have been making some wall art and sculptural pieces, but haven't created a portfolio yet. I have submitted some work to a couple of galleries here in Sullivan County, NY, but wasn't picked for the 2014 season by any. One gallery actually said that they considered my work to be craft, and not art! So for now, craft shows are it.
Cate
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

It's all about design. If you have little background in art and design it makes no difference that you have the knowledge and skills for doing the fusing, casting, etc. Being able to produce and design items that will sell and are marketable at different price levels is what can make the difference. I would suggest taking a few workshops with some very inspirational and instructional instructors. It's been discussed many times before on this forum that things must have that WOW factor for them to sell well in this economy. Commodity items are no longer marketable on a sustained basis. Be creative and inventive to see what there is a market for and what you can design and create to meet that market. Simply depending upon using ceratin materials, i.e. dichroic, irridized, etc. no longer will assure you of sales. Make your own molds, make your own textures and experiment a lot to develop new and visually exciting merchandise.