Indiegogo?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Studiodunn

Indiegogo?

Post by Studiodunn »

Recently I had the opportunity to introduce fused glass mini-course to a group of (12) 5th & 6th graders at my daughters school. The class was a huge hit and the kids genuinely loved it! It was a great deal of hard work on my part dragging materials into the school and bringing the projects home for firing. All in all, it has been well worth the sacrifice of time and energy to see how well received the class has been.

The school is eager to see me to return next semester as well. Go figure! This is not a profit making endeavor and I am actually OK with that. Experiencing the children's enthusiasm and sharing the joy that comes from discovering how cool it is to work with glass has been enough reward. Any opportunity I have to get into my kids school and interact with students in our community is a huge blessing.

The bottom line is, I am finding myself in need of more glass cutting stations and glass cutters/tools to improve the quality of the students experience. I am considering the option of running an Indiegogo campaign to help raise funds because the cost of purchasing everything is simply too much for me to absorb. Realistically I could have 2 kids share a cutting zone and only need 6 of everything. I am also very open to hearing from anyone who has creative advice on budgeting for this project or who might be open to perhaps donating materials.
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
lorimendenhall

Re: Indiegogo?

Post by lorimendenhall »

why not just ask the parents to donate some money for each child who participates? it would not be mandatory but I am sure the majority of parents would pay. it would not have to be a lot, maybe $10, or whatever. I was very involved in my kids' elementary school and the moms would have been glad to do that.
Judd

Post by Judd »

I'm a high school art teacher. When we need extra supplies, I first ask my students, explaining if someone doesn't have the cash that it's no big deal. Those who can afford the supplies, I ask they bring enough for themselves and a little more to help out others. I almost always have enough. Almost.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

In the future have the class make an item or 2 that they can auction off as a fund raiser. My wife did that with her class on a similar project and several parents got into a bidding war and it raised a fair amount of $ that was then donated to the school and the project.
In the meantime what do you need besides cutters, running pliers, groziers, goggles, markers and some small right angle squares. I think that all I started with some 45 years ago. maybe even less. check with local hardware to get them to donate regular Fletcher cutters, squares,
goggles come from Dollar Tree.
I think you can do it all for $50-75. or less.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

I appreciate the great ideas shared. Thanks! Love the auction idea.

Any thoughts on glass cutting surfaces? I prefer the Morton waffle grid however that adds up fast for 6 - 12 students. I wonder how carpet squares with a short, tight pile might work until I can splurge on the real deal?
- Martin Luther King
Marty

Post by Marty »

piles of newspaper.
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="Studiodunn"]I appreciate the great ideas shared. Thanks! Love the auction idea.

Any thoughts on glass cutting surfaces? I prefer the Morton waffle grid however that adds up fast for 6 - 12 students. I wonder how carpet squares with a short, tight pile might work until I can splurge on the real deal?[/quote]

you can get almost the same thing in the lighting grid department of home depot.

carpet of any type holds glass shards.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I have the Morton system and did indeed pick up the egg crate grid from Home Depot. Works just fine. Biggest problem is cutting it down to fit a space.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

I'll definitely check that out at Home Depot. I had no idea~ TX!
- Martin Luther King
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

check with local carpet stores, they may have remnants that are odd patterns that they would be happy to give you. Free is always good.
People can share what they need, I have done workshops with as many as 25 women and only used 5 glass cutters and the same number of running pliers. If you shop around you can get oil cutters for under $6, not Toyo but for student work they will be fine.
Setting up the right parameters for them work within is part of the learning experience. i.e. no grinding, designs have to be so that they will work within the given conditions. Similar to preparing a meal for under $7 for a party of 4. I can't remember the name of the TV show now doing that, but it's interesting.
It's amazing what can be designed and executed with just a few very basic tools and materials.
I've done workshops on making large scale sculpture with almost no out lay of $.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

If you don't have enough cutters (I always prefer to provide Toyo pistol grips, since they give good results for beginners), have mosaic nippers available. Kids who don't or can't cut well can always nip glass shapes.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Good idea Valerie...

I ended up having good luck recently shopping at Ikea of all places! They had white plastic cafeteria trays for .99 cents each. That will function well as a work zone for each student. Ikea also had small white bathroom rugs with gripper surface on the bottom for $1.99 each. I like the fact that white carpets will allow the students to best see colors when they work with transparents in their design. My big expense will be for the Toyo pistol grips and other tools that will add up quickly. The 5th/6th grade students definitely gravitated toward the pistol grip cutters the most. Next semester will be 7th/8th grade, so it will be interesting to see how different this age group approaches their work with glass.
- Martin Luther King