Business Scruples

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

KaCe

Business Scruples

Post by KaCe »

New to screen printing on glass. I was given some Thompson's enamel, but after beginning I find, not enough. So this week I have been trying to find more Thompson's Enamel Series 7000(opaque)/6000(transparent) for working with Bullseye COE. I have called various distributors in my area (I didn't want to have to wait for shipping). One retailer's stock was just for metal Series 5000. Another was just for pottery. The last was for glass artists. I asked about the series carried and the business said it was 5000. I remarked that the series I needed for Bullseye glass or Spectrum was Series 7000. She said she didn't carry it and that she had been selling the 5000 for a long time to regional glass artists and no one had ever complained. I said I'd just spoken with the company and their salesman/researcher had assured me there is a COE in enamel and that 7000 is the right one for glass artists using the mentioned glass. She snapped, "Do you want to debate your point of view or purchase what I sell?" She stipulated that "COE didn't matter in enamel on glass."

So I'm thinking either she doesn't know 7000 is the right one for glass or she doesn't care. Either way she is putting people on the path to using a product not recommended by the manufacturer. The more I thought about her truculent response and lack of interest in increasing her knowledge base, the more I wanted to pass on to other glass artists what I found out. I won't mention this business' name, but if you are using Thompson enamel you should use the 7000 series (except if using float glass). I know last year someone posted that a piece exploded. It seems I remember that it had enamel... but maybe not. But if it were, the artist may have been given the wrong info by a person without scruples and no interest to improve their knowledge base.

I know posts, such as this, can create a tempest in a teapot, my intention is only to 1): educate fellow artists in the correct series formulated by the enamel company for its compatibility with fusible art glass (COE 90-96). It seems to me to ignore their years of research and development is the height of hubris. So I ordered from them and had them ship it pronto. I'm not saying people can't nor shouldn't use 5000, but why if the manufacturer says it isn't compatible? You may want to check your label.2) To point out that a business license doesn't mean you are really interested in the success or integrity of your customers' work. Caveat Emptor And that's all I have to say on this. If you need more information call Thompson's Enamels yourself. Oh, and I did ask what size their powder was. I was told 80. (got out my muller) Just for you own knowledge base. <grin>

Oh, This was cathartic. Thank you for letting me vent. <lips pursed, hands folded and slowly exhaling>
Last edited by KaCe on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosanna gusler

Re: Business Scruples

Post by rosanna gusler »

thompsons also sells finer grind powder. it is 220 or 320 as i recall. yes it sucks when people ignore the science behind our art form. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Sounds like she wasn't very gracious in acknowledging and accepting that she has been distributing misinformation :).

Maybe your comments will compel her to look at it more closely and actually get the correct product in-house (but then again, people that reactive aren't prone to acting in a positive manner)!

Dana W.
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

What you say is exactly why I posted. I don't think she'll change, so I wanted anyone seeking to purchase enamels to be aware of the right series. I don't think Thompson's website does as good of a job explaining the use of their enamels on glass as it could. You must dig around and/or ask. But as I've done that I thought I'd try to help others.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Try Schlaifers at enameling.com
They distribute Thompson's and are wonderful to work with. On line store is a help

Barry
Risa

Post by Risa »

My studio is about 15 minutes from Thompson. I've only bought a sample pack from them to test colors and their customer service was stupendous. FYI, they offered to grind enamels to whatever size I specify...and I was only asking about small quantities. They also have a fairly complete inventory available. And they offered to help troubleshoot any issues I have. I'm grateful to have them nearby and assume they'd offer the same service over the phone.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I agree with Risa,
I use both Schlaifers and Thompson's.
Both have excellent customer service!!

Barry
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I did an experiment many years ago where I fired about 25 different coloured enamels (paying no attention to compatability series numbers etc.),. I set up the same test for "90", "96", and float. Some surfaces showed cracks immediately and over the years almost very colour has fractured or chipped off... Showing how important using the correct materials is.
"The Glassman"
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I find all the comments interesting. I will look into the Schlaifers enamel. I have never heard of it. Everyday I learn something. This forum is an integral part of my learning. Thank you for commenting. I found the enamel tests interesting, too. Even though one might think enamel is so minimal how can it cause a crack? Your experimentation proves why. Thank you for sharing that info. It confirms what others have said. I don't need to ignore what others have shared to learn. I will trust that coe does matter and look for compatible products. Thank you.