Behind the technique.

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Behind the technique.

Post by Haydo »

Have bitten the bullet. On Nauru at the moment filling in time for things relating to a work that I need finished on my next break.When it comes down to it every business needs recognition. Where I come from, the market has helped to push me to be better, smarter will have to come later when I can get a bigger market. I've taken the advise of a young cuz and am just starting to use a blog that my eldest has set up for me. Could it be the edge that I need as an Outsider of the Australian glass community with jurors? Outsider is a term that Marc Grunsiet used at an ausglass conference years ago to define one that has no formal university leverage, at the time I thought it was negative. I thought if the work stood out, that would be the end of the story. Over time I've realized that these people have built solid foundations to support all of their work. It's not going to kill me going with this angle on the short term.
If you are interested to have a look and maybe give critique, feel free. I'm a big boy, so make it honest. peace, haydo

It is linked to my website which needs upgrading, after taking new images. www.imagoglass.com.au
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Nina Falk

Re: Behind the technique.

Post by Nina Falk »

I absolutely love your piece "Season Changes". and the whole site looks good. I think it might be better to have your images appear larger, and maybe less text. that's just me. I like to see the work clearly without too many clicks. You are very humble--when you say "I feel I am just beginning to understand glass". You have been working at it for a long time! Congratulations. I have to explore more..just wanted to send this starting comment.
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

Your work is intriguing. I agree with Nina, and want to see larger images, and more of them. When I look at Blue Cocoon, Green Patch and Season Changes, it would be good to see not only larger images, but details and photographs from the other sides. Great start!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

We hadn't worried about the images yet because it was on the to do list before the end of June.The whole site needs a tidy up so that's it ready and the tip of dealing with too much text is something that I'll be able to ponder while still on the island. Make it more KISS, if they want words then it's a choice whether or not they click into the blog. My thinking was that maybe it would help having a complete site incorporating a blog if jurors are faced with tough decisions, don't know if they would dig into background behind a piece for submission. I'm doing it in case they do. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I looked at your site before reading the other comments. My only comment is the same. Large formatted images for detail. I kept clicking on images on the site to get a larger view, but none was to be had. I think that feature is important for art.

I like your sensibilities and style. Good luck with it all.

KaCe
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Yeah!, the images are lame. I suppose I could reconsider the idea of having a blog. Or I could carry on with the idea and see where it goes, always aware that it may go pear shaped. peace , haydo
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

What? don't give up so fast! Just enlarge the damned photos! You are almost there!
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I agree with Nina.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

No chance of giving up, if I could it would have been years ago. I had the site developed by my son before a solo exhibition at Mackay's Harley dealership, I thought it looked great as with others. But wasn't enough to launch me into the North Queensland market, even though we made the Sunday Mail's social shots. The original question was more in regards to the idea of having a blog directly linked to my site. As time goes on I'll be able to share more on this to ponder how to further push the idea. I appreciate the positive comments how the site can be improved by getting how we offer the images right, this was always on the agenda because I'll be pushing on with a couple of the mistakes discovered while getting my bubble blocks , especially keen to add under lighting with LED's. Should look good. peace, haydo
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

sounds great, Haydo.