Insurance responsibility at exhibit?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bonnie Rubinstein

Insurance responsibility at exhibit?

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

My work will be on exhibit at a professional club (business, meetings, events,etc). They tell me that my work has to be covered by me, not them, while on display. Since glass is breakable, this is disconcerting. I do have business insurance, but need to get a rider for this.

I would think that any facility asking to show an artist's work should be responsible. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Bert Weiss

Re: Insurance responsibility at exhibit?

Post by Bert Weiss »

I wouldn't pay a nickel more for the insurance.

One night I was breaking down my booth from a large show in the Philadelphia convention center. I had all my stuff in a pile on the floor. Big glass was wrapped in a Uhaul blanket. When I returned with the truck, I discovered that somebody had driven over my glass with their truck. I had no idea who. When I complained to the show organizer about it, he informed me the insurance was mine, not his. I made the huge mistake of contacting my insurance company and telling them I lost a $1200 piece of glass. I discovered that I had a $1000 deductible policy. I never made the claim. My cost to make that piece was less than $100 in materials. I could have easily claimed it was a $2000 piece of glass as it was part of a $4000 fountain. Live and learn.

In a totally different story, I was putting together an exhibition in the big easy. The gallery owner assured me that nobody insured anything in his town. This became a sticking point. The exhibition never happened.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bonnie Rubinstein

If I am following this correctly, sounds like the insurance was the right way to go in that instance, but you undervalued the piece.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Marty

Post by Marty »

Almost all galleries will insure to the wholesale cost (I won't send work to one who doesn't). Temporary venues usually don't. Ask your insurance agent about off-premises coverage (shows, traveling to and from, etc.).
It's all negotiable and it's your decision whether or not to take the risk.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

One of my local galleries insures for 50% of the retail cost. Other exhibits I have been in (usually competitions) say the work is insured, but don't mention amount (I should ask!).

Many of the exhibits/sales we do as a glass guild do not insure at all, yet often, they expect 40% commission (which is full commission around here). I am supposed to be working on a nice little pamphlet about the time and materials that goes into a piece of glass, so that we might be able to use it to negotiate lower commissions in the absence of insurance. Yeah, I know, "let me know how that works out for ya, K?".

I'm also supposed to be looking into event insurance as well... I guess I should get busy.

Dana W.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

How have people done is actually claiming on insurance. I've given up on paying for insurance on shipping as the companies seem to question the value of anything? Then they blame you for the way it was packed, they deny deny deny responsibility.

Do people ACTUALLY get paid from the insurance companies and if so was it really worth the hassle? I usually suck it up and remake anything that gets broken rather than fight with shippers. What's it like with regular insurance companies and does your premium just go up as a result of the claim?

What's your experience???

Thanks,
Rick Wilton
Bonnie Rubinstein

Re:the exhibit; since it is not a gallery, but a venue that is showing my work and helping me with visibility, yes, I should carry my own insurance. It is only $25 /mo. to get the rider.

Re; shipping, I had a nightmare incident with UPS, and 35 sq. ft of art glass was broken. UPS packed it horribly by a young guy who should not have been packing. UPS sent a claims person in to check this out, and after many months I was reimbursed. The packing is critical. But that was UPS insurance, not an insurance agency.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Marty

Post by Marty »

I've never had a shipping-damage claim denied. Galleries have damaged work 4-5 times and paid for either repair or replacement at wholesale.
I haven't tested my business insurance.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Just entered a piece this past week into a gallery show. The director called me this week, "uh, oh... well we were hanging, and your's was one of the last piece, and well it is such a beautiful piece, and we really should have placed it on something other than the pedestal..." and she finally got around to telling me they knocked it off the pedestal while hammering in the nail to hang it.

It was a woven piece and some of the single "strands" on the top and bottom edges were snapped off. She asked me about gluing it. I told her that, IMO, it is glass, it's broken, it's ruined... all I can do is melt it down and start again...

The gallery is going to buy the piece -- at full price without taking commission -- and keep it as part of their permanent collection.

The opening was last night. I was able to see what had been broken and glued, but it was difficult. I doubt anyone will notice it... as long as they never resell it.

I agonized about this... how do I feel about one of my pieces -- broken -- on permanent display? In the end, I decided if they purchased the piece before dropping it, I would never know. And well... full price helps to ease the pain. ;)

Dana