Designing a Display Space

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jim burchett

Designing a Display Space

Post by jim burchett »

For many years I have had a space at a local gallery . It is approx 4'x8'x4' with 3 walls. I currently have just simple white 10" wooden shelves for display. The space is looking a bit cluttered and " amateur". I am looking to update the space, cut down on inventory and try to showcase more higher end pieces. Does anyone know of suppliers of any displays that might work at a reasonable price? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not believe the Gallery will allow pedestal type displays..need wall mount or furniture.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Marty

Re: Designing a Display Space

Post by Marty »

Fresh paint and glass shelves and killer lighting.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Jim, many years ago I saw a dazzling display of art glass in the lobby of a Seattle hotel. It was a series of black display boxes of various sizes with one piece in each and the lighting was clean bright, white light. The colours glowed. The structure appeared to be made of glass, back-painted black so it was all glossy and sleek. That vision has stayed in my mind ever since. Today with LED lighting something stunning could be assembled.

Of course, if the gallery is lit with skylights or overall bright lighting it probably won't work.

Good luck with the 'restyling'. Jen
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

One caution about glass shelving and bright lighting. Are you going to be there to dust every day?
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Thanks for the input..as it turns out I have decided to exit the Gallery, The changes that I would have liked to make just involved too much expense & time to be worth it, Also travel was a consideration, as I would not be able to service it for 3 months. I had been there for a good while, and there is a long waiting list .Time o give someone elsea chance.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie