Fused Glass Production Supply Shortages

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Nancy Cann

Fused Glass Production Supply Shortages

Post by Nancy Cann »

How are you my fellow glass fusers going to respond to the upcoming art glass shortages from both Bullseye and Uroboros? I know that Uroboros is not shipping any S96 or 90 frit. Production has stopped as of a week or 2 ago with both Bullseye Glass and Uroboros glass on all colors containing Cadmium and Chromium. That means most yellows, oranges, reds, browns, blacks and greens. Uroboros has raised it's prices 40% on all existing stock of the affected sheet glass colors and is rationing stock. Bullseye has not raised prices but is also rationing. It will be quite some time before production is back on. Sooo after I'm done totally freaking out I'm wondering what are you my fellow glass artists going do about pricing? How are you handling this business wise?
DonMcClennen

Re: Fused Glass Production Supply Shortages

Post by DonMcClennen »

The price of a finished product always has to include the cost of materials to make plus all the other factors. Once you start paying more for your glass it only makes sense to raise the price accordingly. When and if the material costs normalize...then products made should likewise be adjusted. Absorbing cost increases without passing on to client will mean you working for less! I will raise my prices when I use the more expensive glass.
"The Glassman"
Nancy Cann

Post by Nancy Cann »

I am pretty well supplied for the next 6 months or so. So I guess I am asking do I raise prices now or wait until I need supplies. Now seems to make sense but I don't want to be out of line price wise with everybody else. What are the rest of you going to do?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I would think that it's in Bullseye's and Uroboro's best interests to come up with a solution to the supply issue as quickly as possible. If they can't do that, they will likely go out of business -- it's hard to run an art glass company if you can't make "most yellows, oranges, reds, browns, blacks and greens."

If you believe this will go on for a really long time and that the companies won't be able to come up with a solution fast enough for you, then you might explore making more pieces using the colors that aren't in short supply. Or develop pieces that use enamels for coloration. I'm not sure that just raising prices will work -- after all, your customers aren't likely to value a cadmium yellow piece 40% more than one make with cobalt blue.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Oh dear, it is just all so tragic. For everyone involved.
Give out Free Hugs!
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

I just got word that Uro has suspended 65% of their product line and trying order anything is going to be iffy at best.
twin vision glass

Really! where did you hear that. :cry:
Give out Free Hugs!
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

twin vision glass wrote:Really! where did you hear that. :cry:
In an email from Northwest.
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

I'm not buying any more fusing glass and haven't for over a year, so the shortage won't affect me. For others, there may be some that can raise their prices and people will still pay it for their art, for the vast majority of hobby fusers, any raise in prices is going to drive many of them to those brands that don't have a shortage (I don't know if this is affecting Spectrum in a positive or negative way) or they will just get out of fusing.

I guess it's a good thing I pretty much stopped doing fusing a year ago (I slowed down a lot after the last price hike by Bullseye) and just haven't gotten around to selling my kiln and all of the Bullseye glass I have. Maybe I should get busy and get it all sold before everyone has switched and most of the fusing glass will come from China and not be compatible with anything. Or maybe Bullseye will move their plant out to Central Oregon where there is a lot of open space away from everyone.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Yes, Spectrum is lying low right now... haven't heard a word about those guys, but I bet they are nervous.

I figure it will all shake out. Of course, I use only System 96 (though some is URO), and I'm pretty well stocked. I have to order from Denver, so I place one or two large orders a year that are crated & come lift gate.

I don't think the worry for us is as much about availability of glass as about the general public coming to associate fused glass with heavy metals. Now THAT could affect all of us.

Dana W.
twin vision glass

My prayer is that it can all be fixed. I am an eternal optimist . If we can go to the moon , we should be able to produce filters that will filter out the toxicity do you think. I am hopeful. But it is a difficult situation for all. My heart is going out to everyone , not only the land owners that live near by , but also all the excellent employees who give 100 percent to the companies. To the distributors who sell the glass. It is a confusing time for them as well. It is hurting their business terribly with all the uncertainty. My local distributor will go to the ends to help us get our glass at a timely manner and at a price that is good. She is so kind and helpful and wonderful that I worry for her tooo! She has worked so hard to develop a business that is sound and excellent. What happens to the distributors.
So I pray it can be worked out. I love to work in glass. Always have. But these are tough times for all. ( I wonder if there is a grant from the government to upgrade the facilities for environmental reasons. I hope so . )
Leslie
Give out Free Hugs!
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

JestersBaubles wrote:Yes, Spectrum is lying low right now... haven't heard a word about those guys, but I bet they are nervous.

I figure it will all shake out. Of course, I use only System 96 (though some is URO), and I'm pretty well stocked. I have to order from Denver, so I place one or two large orders a year that are crated & come lift gate.

I don't think the worry for us is as much about availability of glass as about the general public coming to associate fused glass with heavy metals. Now THAT could affect all of us.

Dana W.
This statement was posted on spectrum's website:

February 18, 2016

A number of questions have recently arisen regarding specific colorants used
in the manufacture of art glass products. Spectrum Glass Company uses an
array of colorants to manufacture our product line. We use baghouse
pollution control equipment to filter the exhaust coming from our primary
color furnaces. This equipment is inspected at least once per day while in
operation to ensure it is functioning properly. We also have baghouses that
filter the air that is ventilated from our iridescent coating application
process, and batch department, where product ingredients are combined prior
to melting.

We are working with relevant environmental agencies to ensure our
long-standing manufacturing processes and pollution control equipment
continue to perform as expected.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Andy,

Can you provide the link to that? I searched again and I still can't find it on Spectrum's web site. I even googled the term, "Spectrum Glass Company uses an
array of colorants to manufacture our product line" with no results.

Dana W.
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Brad Walker wrote:I would think that it's in Bullseye's and Uroboro's best interests to come up with a solution to the supply issue as quickly as possible.
Nature hates a vacuum. If it goes on too long another manufacturer will spring up and fill the void. Its just a matter of time.
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
twin vision glass

That could happen but it will not be as well established in not only the art world but with many artists who love working with their product and the guarantee of a compatible glass . It would be like starting all over again. Which perhaps new ideas could be formed but after all these years finally figuring out what colour blends with what and the reactions you can get with certain colours , well it would just be a hard and long road. And all the data is not in yet , so perhaps we are all worrying to much, and it will turn out better than we thought. That is my eternal optimism coming through.
Give out Free Hugs!
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

JestersBaubles wrote:Andy,

Can you provide the link to that? I searched again and I still can't find it on Spectrum's web site. I even googled the term, "Spectrum Glass Company uses an
array of colorants to manufacture our product line" with no results.

Dana W.

http://www.spectrumglass.com/stained-gl ... fforts.asp
Judd

Post by Judd »

Viva la Float Glass!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Thanks, AndyT. I was going to: http://spectrumglass.com/, hitting their WarmGlass link and going to About Us, which gives you a completely different set of info than going to the Stained Glass Link.

Dana