How to Calculate Shipping Charges?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Sundance

How to Calculate Shipping Charges?

Post by Sundance »

For those of you selling fused glass on your own website, how do you handle shipping charges? My pieces (vases, plates, platters & bowls) are not production pieces, and they vary in size, weight & shape. So there’s no way to know in advance how much to charge for shipping. Do you price the item as you normally would, & then say “plus actual shipping charges”? Or do you base shipping on a percentage of the sales price (which may or may not cover actual shipping costs)? Or do you charge a flat rate based on an estimated average cost to ship? (In which case, how do you estimate that?) I would only be shipping in the continental US, via USPS Priority Mail or UPS. Thanks!
Attitude is everything. Pick a good one.
Marty

Re: How to Calculate Shipping Charges?

Post by Marty »

Actual shipping charges.
Don't forget the ancillary stuff like the cost of a trip to the PO or UPS and the cost of packing materials and time to pack. If you're scrounging materials then account for the cost of the time involved. I include that stuff in the (wholesale) price and add shipping after.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Thanks, Marty!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The best deal out there for shipping heavy stuff that manages to fit in the box is USPS flat rate boxes.

On the other side, I know people who will only ship USPS overnight, for a minimum of handling.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Thanks, Bert. The flat rate boxes are definitely worth it if I can find one the right size ~ that would probably vary depending on the piece. I hadn't thought about going with USPS overnight, altho I'm guessing that's pretty pricey. Good suggestion tho ~ I'll look into it. Thanks!