Re-entering the glass scene

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

sslickk

Re-entering the glass scene

Post by sslickk »

Hello,

I've been out of the loop for over 3 years due to illness.

Any suggestions on how to update my CV to take this into account?

Just say straight out, I've been ill? Most galleries want very current stuff, and as far as paper goes, I just don't have it.

I've always been an "outsider" in the fine craft world, not having any formal education. So it's been a struggle all along, but I was doing ok.

Then my little challenge struck.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JC
http://www.3-of-swords.com/cv.doc
http://www.3-of-swords.com
charlie

Post by charlie »

why new stuff? when they look at something, how would a gallery know when it was made, if it didn't have a date on it?

i think they want new stuff because old stuff may have been sitting around unsold in a gallery. if it's been in your stock, and you're making similar objects, then they shouldn't care.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

From my perspective, this seems like a non-issue.

In my opinion, you should show the work you have currently and introduce new work as you make it.

You don't owe anyone an explanation about what you've been doing the last three years...whether you were sick, just non-productive, doing something else or whatever. Your life is yours and no one else's business.

If people like your work, they will buy it. It doesn't matter when it was made. I never date my work because some people perceive that if it wasn't made last week, there is something "wrong" with it or something because no one else bought it already.

I've sold things that took several years to find the right home. It doesn't mean that they were ugly, badly made, whatever...it just meant the right person hadn't seen them yet.

Take care of your health and don't sweat this...it isn't a problem. If someone is rude enough to ask why you haven't produced any new designs in the last 3 years, the simple, truthful answer is that your current lines were selling well-enough for you that you didn't have time/desire/whatever to go into production on new lines. "Well-enough for you" means whatever it means to you. Let them interpret it as they like.

I wish you the best -

Geri
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dear JC,

Hey, I get to put on a different hat for a change... that of a recruiter. I've done some in the past. The best approach to your question is to be honest. If your absence is due to illness tell them. If you include it, I would recommend it in the covering letter... something like...."I have resumed my successful art career after a 3 year absence due to illness". Including it in the resume is not really pertinent to your art (unless it has caused new directions).

My guess is that galleries will be more interested in your work and how they perceive its marketability than a 3 year gap in your resume. That gap might be signficant in the real world of major corporations but is probably the last thing on the mind of a gallery owner. If it does come up give them the straight answer and move the discussion back to your art.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Bob
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Geri couldn't have stated it better.

Seems like I regularly encounter new or returning artists who hold themselves back because they don't have recent work, or they just don't have the inventory they'd prefer.

Many shows require "recent work" for jury purposes. Unless the object carries a date, how would they know?

We're our own worst enemy at times. :wink:

jerry
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

HI,
I appreciate the feedback..

Yep,, I'm terrible at self promotion, I am sure everyone hates my work and why on earth would they pay the kind of money I ask for the larger pieces!!!!

Even though I know I do good work, and I underprice as it is.

Ok.. I'm gonna dust off that CV,, put in a line about "Advanced Self-Study" how's that for avoiding the dreaded self-taught, didn't go to school issue?

And start getting it out there.

Guess after the long forced abscence I'm just a little gun shy.

Thank you all again,, finding this site and forum have been a tremendous boost to me.

Warmly,

JC
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

Depending on the kind of work you are doing the CV may not even be necessary. At the lower end (read: production, unlimited series, etc.) most galleries don't care about anything but the work you want to sell. Write a nice hangtag (or have someone else write it) description to go with the slides or photos.

One thing has changed in the last 3 years: A nice web page would be useful as an online advert. No prices, just quality pics. That would make it easier for the gallery to see your work and your presentation.

If you must get something current enter some of the national competions. That gets 2003 on there fast but I like the "research" idea best if you must have something.
Tim
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

Good points Tim,

Most of my work is one off. I have a couple of limited edition designs.

My low end is the jewelry bits, which I crank out by the 100's, and what has been paying the bills.

Your, right, having a website is a tremendous asset. Mine's been up for a few years now and it's finally starting to pay for itself. Not that I've done a ton of promotion. Just the usual search engine submissions.
http://www.3-of-swords.com

Warmly,
JC