Gallery follow-up

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jj jacobs

Gallery follow-up

Post by jj jacobs »

I'm wondering what other artists do about follow-up communications with gallery owners once they've gotten their work into the shop? The first gallery owner and I were constantly communicating with each other about pieces that had sold; what other people wanted; etc. My last three galleries have had little communication, and while I'm getting checks, I'm curious to know if I should be visiting or calling the owners and seeing how things are going?

What would you suggest? Should I call every so often to see if they need new inventory? Or stop by and see what if anything has sold? Thanks for your help! :roll:

JJ
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

My guess is if you are having to do all the contacting with the gallery and that they are not contacting you regularly, then they are not totally enthused about your work and you will not be selling much. Beware the gallery/shop that demands inventory immediately upon first contact (they might be needing your inventory sales to pay for other outstanding bills) and beware the gallery/shop that never contacts you. You need a relationship to be built to have long term success. Keep contacting those locations that are too busy to contact you and build the relationship yourself. Realize that those places will probably never make you as much income as the ones that keep calling you. Good thing the cheques keep coming. Kevin
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Many galleries have the nasty habit of not paying consignment artists when pieces have sold. Instead they invest your money buying other artist's work. Often a lack of communication can mean that they are not in a hurry to discuss payment.

I have a friend who encounters this scene often. After a period of time he will request that they return the piece and then the check gets mailed.

Stories like this have shyed me away from making a business selling to galleries.

The other thing they do is tell you that you will get a 50/50 split, but they mark the piece up much more and then are slow to pay you the original agreed upon wholesale price.

Then there was the guy who sold the gallery and told the buyer that he owned the work that was on consignment.

Then there are all the galleries that go bankrupt and disappear with the consigned work.

Consignment is the standard mode for expensive work in galleries. Essentially the artist acts as interest free money lender to the gallery. We put up all of the time and money to create the work and they play with our money and invest it in other work. Juggling with your life and pocketbook.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions