Credit Card Machine

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Claudia Whitten

Credit Card Machine

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Those of you that use credit card machines at shows, would you share the options and your choices and why. I have been hearing about monthly fees and/or minimum sales. There seems to be different percentages charged and may have hidden costs. Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated. I only plan on doing a few shows a year but I was advised that I would loose sales if I didn't have one.

Thanks....Claudia
Bert Weiss

Re: Credit Card Machine

Post by Bert Weiss »

Claudia Whitten wrote:Those of you that use credit card machines at shows, would you share the options and your choices and why. I have been hearing about monthly fees and/or minimum sales. There seems to be different percentages charged and may have hidden costs. Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated. I only plan on doing a few shows a year but I was advised that I would loose sales if I didn't have one.

Thanks....Claudia
Claudia

I only do a few shows a year and have a credit card account. Most of my buyers use their cards. I use a manual machine at the show and take names and phone numbers. When I get home, I punch the numbers in to the digital machine. Only once did a card not go through and then, I called the person up and they gave me a different card# no problem.

This way I don't have to pay for a phone line at the show. I pay $5 a month and I forget the percentage.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Good moring Claudia,

I went through this exact scenario a few years ago. Couldn't believe the prices they try to get for this stuff, many were $600 or more. One thing to remember, most shows don't have phone lines or they make you pay through the nose to get one. In reality then, you take the card, take the risk, and upload the transactions at night.

I found a local bank who had exactly what I wanted. The old knuckle buster. Their rate is a bit more, about 4%. Startup cost was $40. Their only requirement was that I have a business banking account with them. Needed that anyway. Not one hidden cost. If I don't use the machine for months it costs me nothing. The business account and credit card are with these folks. Not sure what they can do for you but the bank is Merchants Bank. They're all about business large or small. I wish all banks were as good as these folks. I can highly recommend this bank with absolutely no reservations.

Can I ask where you are in Idaho? I get to visit Moscow weekend after this for my first time. Renaissance Art Fair. It's gonna be a blast.
Nancy Juhasz

Credit Cards

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Claudia, I take credit cards at shows. I have my account through our state arts and crafts guild with Discover Business. We get special rates since there are so many of us. No monthly charges , no monthly minimums. etc. The percentages vary for Discover, Visa, etc. Like Bert I have a manual card swiper, take names and phone numbers. I have never been burned. Knock on wood. I feel that my sales are higher with the card option. Look around there are some good deals out there.
Nanc
Carol

Post by Carol »

Take your cell phone and use it to phone in any card numbers you are unsure of right from the booth. Otherwise just phone them in each night as a batch. If you look around you may find a bank that will let you use a knucklebuster without also purchasing a terminal.

Here's a trick I learned years ago. To save space on your sales table at a booth run a bunch of blanks through your knuckle buster before the show. When you do a card sale place the card on the table and position a blank pre-printed with your merchant info over the card in the same position it would be in the machine. Using a straight ball point pen run the barrel of the pen back and forth over the card to imprint the client's information. Then proceed as usual, checking imprint quality on the last page, expiry date, etc.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

if you only do a couple of sales a year it may not be worth it - even if you do lose sales. If they are high end ticket items then it will be worth the money and the ease of mind to run the transaction during the show. To process remotely you need either a phone that is run with analog service - which is very hard to find these days or another option is the Trac phone where you pay by the usage. The trac phone is also analog but since you can pay as you go you can skip monthly cell phone charges by using it only when you need it. There is also an option of using phones that have tri mode with both analog and digital but I do not have first hand experience with this kind of phone. Besides the teminal you need an interface between the phone and credit card machine. If you want a picture of what the setup may look like go to my web site where my husband puts together credit card packages for artist. Note this is only the hardware part we do not source out merchant accounts. Also for those who take card numbers and enter it at home at night you might check to see if you can get a lower percentage rate if you take information like zip code and other information. I used to do this and it ran my nerves raw. I did not get more than 2 bad cards for small amounts but someties there were glitches with customers and many times when I would call them about their card they would be defensive - mostly embarrassed that their card was not working. I have 12 shows a year and put my merchant account on vacation during the months of non operation. Good luck - I know this can be mind bending to make the decisions.
[http://www.acga.net/terryow-wing/credit.html][/url]
Claudia Whitten wrote:Those of you that use credit card machines at shows, would you share the options and your choices and why. I have been hearing about monthly fees and/or minimum sales. There seems to be different percentages charged and may have hidden costs. Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated. I only plan on doing a few shows a year but I was advised that I would loose sales if I didn't have one.

Thanks....Claudia
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Claudia Whitten

Claudia

I only do a few shows a year and have a credit card account. Most of my buyers use their cards. I use a manual machine at the show and take names and phone numbers. When I get home, I punch the numbers in to the digital machine. Only once did a card not go through and then, I called the person up and they gave me a different card# no problem.

This way I don't have to pay for a phone line at the show. I pay $5 a month and I forget the percentage.[/quote]

Bert, who do you have an account with? Claudia
Claudia Whitten

Thanks everyone for the info on credit card machines. I will check with some local artist and see who they use. Some are in the same boat as me. I will talk to the local bank and see what they have to offer. Where I sell mostly with galleries I will look into how many shows I will do a year. Terry thank you for the info on your site that was helpful......Claudia
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I have heard that if you work iwth galleries and you want to get paid up front sometimes it's easier for the gallery if they know that they can charge it. Less hassel for them to get the check written and faster money in your account.

Claudia Whitten wrote:.... Where I sell mostly with galleries I will look into how many shows I will do a year. ......Claudia
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Carol

Post by Carol »

Are you all having to buy digital machines as well as the knuckebuster? I just have the manual machine and then phone in to a 1-800 number for authorization, either by cell from the show or that evening. If you can find that set up it saves purchasing 2 machines.

Carol
Terry Ow-Wing

credit card machine/ knucklebuster

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I carry both only because once in awhile the reception does not go through on the cell phone so I carry my knucklebuster anyway. Or like the first few shows where I would make every mistake possible I would just grab the knucklebuster and use that. I always collect the customer's phone number just to safe guard any problems I may have.

-Terry O.

Carol wrote:Are you all having to buy digital machines as well as the knuckebuster? I just have the manual machine and then phone in to a 1-800 number for authorization, either by cell from the show or that evening. If you can find that set up it saves purchasing 2 machines.

Carol
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Dani

Post by Dani »

I couldn't find a company that didn't require both the knucklebuster and the swiper/keypad. I should have spent more time scoping things out, but was in a hurry to get set up for a military job. They had just required credit card use on all purchases under $2500. It pays to shop around, especially if you can avoid charges during your off-season. I haven't used our cc set-up for anything except the intermittent military job... and pay monthly charges to have the darned thing. :?

Dani
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Basically I take the risk. I look at it this way. Using a digital machine the info is loaded into that box and stored. Then off shift at the hotel etc you plug it in and upload the transactions. The idea behind the digital machines is card validation. Not having a phone line it is not validating that card. It does store the info which does help at night when you're tired and can't see or think. Which we know never happens. Right?
So I'll call it in if the item is over say $50. The dollar amount would be your decision of what dollar amount you are willing to risk. I'll also say, when you're busy in the booth, calling in every transaction when you're alone, is really really hard.

So, you do the best job you can verifying the transaction with id and a phone number if they'll give it to you. If you ask them right, a lot of people don't really mind giving you their phone number. Some will even give you their email address.

Another thing I found out. Luckily not the hard way. If a client disputes his charged amount, you pay for that dispute. Like $15.00. Even if the dispute is dismissed, you are still out that fee. :(
Monica

credit card conundrum

Post by Monica »

Hi Claudia -

Timely post for me. This problem has bothered me for about two years...only having 2-3 small shows each year, I didn't want to pay minimums and statement fees. I tried my local banks, without luck. An artist friend recommended Discover business (you can accept visa and MC , too). No fees for application, monthly, or minimum. Call in purchases to 800#. You have to buy an imprinter ([ I bought an inexpensive "knuckle buster"] I talked to Vicky Compton 1-800-347-7996

Good luck and prosperous sales
Claudia Whitten

Re: credit card conundrum

Monica wrote:Hi Claudia -

Timely post for me. This problem has bothered me for about two years...only having 2-3 small shows each year, I didn't want to pay minimums and statement fees. I tried my local banks, without luck. An artist friend recommended Discover business (you can accept visa and MC , too). No fees for application, monthly, or minimum. Call in purchases to 800#. You have to buy an imprinter ([ I bought an inexpensive "knuckle buster"] I talked to Vicky Compton 1-800-347-7996

Good luck and prosperous sales
Monica Hey,
I talked to the bank today someone is suppose to call me. Terry suggested that I check with the gallery, I sell with. The local owner is a friend and maybe we can get a knuckle buster and run them thru the gallery account. Thanks for the info I will check that out too.
I hope things are going well for you. Thanks for the info........Claudia
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

Hey Claudia,
I use ProPay- they are an online processor similar to Paypal but you can run cards at shows and home relatively easy online or on the phone. You don't even need those knuckle busters but I'd suggest it. There's a one time set up fee (I think $35), then they make sure you are legitimate.

I can't remember what the fees are right now but it's at the site. I do a couple of shows but have found that we definitely sell more with credit card options as payment. Propay also has an annual fee for a telephone authorization (I think it's something like $25 a year?) for those folks who are buying larger items and you want to verify first. Their basic plan limits an individual charge to $250 per transaction. The max per month of processing is $1,000 for the basic plan.

I hear they are trying to allow transactions with some PDAs too but haven't tried that yet. The down side is that they require quite a bit of info- address, CVV number (back of credit card), and phone number. All of my customers are happy to provide that info- partly because they understand the problems with fraud. And I personally don't mind getting that info to keep track of where my clients are from etc.

Sorry this is so long winded...I did quite a bit of research before I hooked up with Propay. It might work for you if you only do a few shows and if you want to allow commission clients to pay with credit card too.(http://www.propay.com) Hope this helps.
keiko (and no, I don't even remotely work for propay) :D
Dani

Post by Dani »

Be sure and find out the specifications of using someone else's cc set-up or sharing a cc service. There are very specific rules against certain actions and stiff penalties if you get caught. It sounds terrible, doesn't it?? The way it was explained to me by one provider.... I would lose every credit card privelege ever devised by mankind for the remainder of my life and practically three generations into the future if I even thought of mis-using my priveleges. Oh, please. Needless to say, I didn't go with that self-inflated organization. Sheesh. Still, check it out and make sure fudging won't get your knuckles busted! :twisted:

LOL,

Dani
Claudia Whitten

Dani wrote:Be sure and find out the specifications of using someone else's cc set-up or sharing a cc service. There are very specific rules against certain actions and stiff penalties if you get caught. It sounds terrible, doesn't it?? The way it was explained to me by one provider.... I would lose every credit card privelege ever devised by mankind for the remainder of my life and practically three generations into the future if I even thought of mis-using my priveleges. Oh, please. Needless to say, I didn't go with that self-inflated organization. Sheesh. Still, check it out and make sure fudging won't get your knuckles busted! :twisted:

LOL,

Dani

Dani,
Thanks I will check this out. I am too honest most of the time. I know a few artist that share these. I do not want to do that. The gallery owner already represents me and I felt this is like an extension of that. I know her attitude will be suuure we can do that. Her attitude is always yep we can do that or you can do that. I like that about her. I will check on getting my own....Claudia
Sara

Post by Sara »

Claudia,

We used a knuckle buster for quite a long time although after a show we did last November decided it was time to upgrade . . . more and more people are using their credit cards for all purchases and we sure believe that if you're doing glass as a business you better be prepared. In defense of our old system, all the years we busted our knuckles we never had a bad or disputed charge.

Did some research and then purchased a wireless cc machine and it is fabulous. So far we've used it at 3 shows, plus it at home. Not only do we get that sale we don't need to spend an hour after the show re-keying sales receipts. the monthly charges come out to approximately 3.5%. We figure we've already paid ourselves back the $1k in time saved. We do use it to run the credit cards for our websales and have found that many of the galleries we sell to like to use a credit card for their purchases, which is great 'cause we get our money on shipment rather than at 30 days.

While this isn't the most economical choice it certainly was the right one for us, and something to toss in for consideration.

No more bruised knuckles,

Sara
Sherry Salito-Forsen

nurit ?

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

Sara,
Is your new machine the Nurit 3010?
I'm looking to replace my outdated setup...old analog phone, cellular interface & hypercom.
I have heard with some of the new ones, it depends on the location.....then you see artists holding their machines, moving place to place for better reception. Have you experienced any of this?
Thanks Sherry