easy mailing labels ?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Monica

easy mailing labels ?

Post by Monica »

My mailing list is not large enough to make it worthwhile to use a mail house, so I'm still sending from home. However, the mailing list is large enough that I don't want to handwrite all the addresses. SO...What is an easy way to use an excel spreadsheet (or similar) to print labels and what label product works well (doesn't smear or jam a laser or ink jet printer). I'm sure there are loads of label products available at the local office supply place, but I'd like to know which products people like best.
watershed

Post by watershed »

Do you use an accounting software (quickbooks etc)? Sometimes the upgraded version will have that feature.

Greg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Use the Mail Merge Wizard that's part of Microsoft Word. It allows you to put address information in an Excel spreadsheet and then print them out from Word on regular labels that any office supply store will have (Avery is the major brand available).

You can find the Mail Merge Wizard under the Tools option in Word.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Avery labels work well. They also have a downloadable Avery Wizard that can be downloaded that will set up your addresses for any size and type of label they make.
Monica

thanks all

Post by Monica »

I finally came to the same conclusion...MS Word mail merge, though it took me several attempts to figure out how to get mail merge loaded on to the pull down menu. [which is where I was stuck before...thinking that I didn't even have that option on my software version]. Bought some Avery labels today, and I'm on my way.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Another option, since I think you have MS Office, then you also have Access. Access is a "list type" program. I don't use it, but the few times I got into it, it has some interesting features for organizing a mailing list. - Barbara
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Access can certainly handle mailing lists, but it is so much more than that. But it only comes with the higher end MS Office: Office Professional.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Re: easy mailing labels ?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Monica wrote:My mailing list is not large enough to make it worthwhile to use a mail house, so I'm still sending from home. However, the mailing list is large enough that I don't want to handwrite all the addresses. SO...What is an easy way to use an excel spreadsheet (or similar) to print labels and what label product works well (doesn't smear or jam a laser or ink jet printer). I'm sure there are loads of label products available at the local office supply place, but I'd like to know which products people like best.
If you happen to have a Macintosh using system 9 or earlier, Email me and I'll send you an easy program to use.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
dee

Post by dee »

Monica wrote:My mailing list is not large enough to make it worthwhile to use a mail house, so I'm still sending from home. However, the mailing list is large enough that I don't want to handwrite all the addresses. SO...What is an easy way to use an excel spreadsheet (or similar) to print labels and what label product works well (doesn't smear or jam a laser or ink jet printer). I'm sure there are loads of label products available at the local office supply place, but I'd like to know which products people like best.
hi monica - use labels that can be run thru your printer - offce depot and staples have store brands that work well and are equivalent to the avery flavors while much cheaper. download the avery wizard sw from the avery site and install it, use that with an excel spreadsheet to create mailing labels or postcards with the address and barcode printed right on it - i have a web client whose mailing lists i'm managing and i use word to create the front side of the cards with pics/website addy, then with an excel file full of addresses, i use the avery wizard within word to do all the text on the back with return addy, shows dates/locations and the addresses with barcode - works pretty well .....

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Carol

Post by Carol »

dee wrote:
Monica wrote:i have a web client whose mailing lists i'm managing and i use word to create the front side of the cards with pics/website addy, then with an excel file full of addresses, i use the avery wizard within word to do all the text on the back with return addy, shows dates/locations and the addresses with barcode - works pretty well .....

D
Dee...what kind of printer are you using? I've been unable to get colour prints out of my printer that I'm happy using as promo material.

Carol
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Carol wrote:
dee wrote:
Monica wrote:i have a web client whose mailing lists i'm managing and i use word to create the front side of the cards with pics/website addy, then with an excel file full of addresses, i use the avery wizard within word to do all the text on the back with return addy, shows dates/locations and the addresses with barcode - works pretty well .....

D
Dee...what kind of printer are you using? I've been unable to get colour prints out of my printer that I'm happy using as promo material.

Carol
Carol

Get a new printer. Every year they get better and better color prints.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
dee

Post by dee »

Carol[/quote]

carol, i have a canon 8200 photo printer - just looked at canon printers for one of my web clients about a month ago, thre's a new one that is comparable to what i have - bought mine a few years back specifically for catalogs, brochures, postcards - canon i950 - i love my individual ink tanks..... prints great - i use the avery matte postcards

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Carol, the Epson 825 produces truly photo-quality prints. You can find them on ebay from time to time for around $100. I use this printer for jury photos from a 3.2 megapixel camera and they are Greaaat!
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass