Magnet Strength

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Magnet Strength

Post by Randy W »

I'm gearing up for my first art fair and I thought I would sell some refrigator magnets. I can get some flexible vinyl magnet stuff for free. I did a couple of samples and they stuck to the fridge OK but I would like the have the magnet a little stronger. Does the flexible vinyl sheeting come in different strenghts?

Randy
lizzy_d

Post by lizzy_d »

Hi

I don't think the strips come very strong at all. I would suggest trying e-bay and buying the super-strong but tiny neodynium (I know I spelled that wrong!) magnets. Get a glue gun (or some Liquid Nails) and glue a couple of those to the back of your glass and you will be in business. I use them now and they are really strong and are very thin so have a more polished look than the strip or a big fat ceramic magnet hanging off of your glass. Ebay has them for pennies a piece too.
lohman

Post by lohman »

Michaels the crafts supply store carries small magnets that are about 3/16 inch thick. They are very strong and their thickness allows for an easy grip when pulling them off the fridge to hold up stuff.
GlassOrchid

Magnets

Post by GlassOrchid »

There was a thread quite a while ago about magnets that listed sources. Check out the archives. You can also get strong, round ones at Staples and Home Depot. They are pricier than need be but in a pinch, and to get started, they are fine.

~Nancy