marking glass to cut

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

marking glass to cut

Post by lauren »

i'm getting really frustrated trying to cut specific lines with my tile saw. i mark my glass where i want cut with a sharpie, but before the blade even touches the glass the water spray has washed it all away. how could i mark it? i was thinking with maybe a dremel, but i was wondering if anyone had any other ideas...

thanks

peace
- l
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

china marker, grease pencil, paint pencil..............steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867
Sharon Lee

Post by Sharon Lee »

Paint rubber cement over the marks.

Sharon
Jerri Jennings

Post by Jerri Jennings »

Try chapstick over the marker! I learned this in a mosaic class I took a couple of years ago. Works great!! Jerri
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

On one of the stained glass newsgroups somewhere (there are what? several 100 of them?) I saw someone recommend some paint pens called "Zig Painty Pens." They're pricey, so I haven't purchased one yet and tried it out. But they're all the rave with the mark, cut and grind crowd.

I had a metallic marker that seemed to hold up better than sharpies. And now I have a metallic sharpie! Haven't used it yet, but it might hold up better than the regular ones.

Also, let the sharpie marks dry before submitting them to grinding or sawing. I've noticed this lately. I let them dry for a few seconds. The chapstick idea works well, too.

Bev
Bev Brandt
Kris Weber

Post by Kris Weber »

Mark Stay also works well. It is a waxy mixture that looks and smells like beeswax mixed with solvent. It retails for roughly $4 for a 1oz jar. Operates on same principle as the Chapstick ---- which I will have to try once I run out of Mark Stay.

Mark Stay
84 Hillbilly Dr.
Galena, MO 65656
417-272-5249

A stained glass retailer in your area most likely carries this product.

Kris
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Also scotch tape over the mark works.
Edythe Halliday

Vaseline

Post by Edythe Halliday »

Hi,
I use vaseline over the sharpie mark and it works great as well.
Edythe
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

candle wax. I bought a bag of those cheapo votives in the tin cups. Throw the cup away and rub the wax over your marks. Works well and less slippery than vaseline or chaptick (tried them both!)

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
lauren

Post by lauren »

you guys rock hard, thanks much...........
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

We cut alot of glass on the tile saw. Fastest and best solution we found is a maker found in pottery supply places. Its designed to not burn off in the kiln. We first used it to mark the kiln floor where kiln posts should sit for different firing configurations. Accidently grabbed it once and marked the glossy side of the piece for cutting. It stayed on great!! Costs about 3 bucks I think and is a dark green color.