Powdered frit and mixing medium

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

paulajane

Powdered frit and mixing medium

Post by paulajane »

I want to use BE powdered frit mixed with a medium. I am not trying to use it as if it were a paint, but to build it up in designs. I have looked through the archives and have seen many suggestions of mediums to be used with enamels. What would be the best choice for the finely powdered frit?

Thanks a lot.

Paula
Brock

Post by Brock »

Klyr-Fire? Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kris Weber

Post by Kris Weber »

In the past, I've used Klyr-Fire or Elmer's white glue thinned with water to hold built-up lines in place.

Kris
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

Another possibility is to use Acrylic Gel Medium, if you have some of that around. Mix it with some water to an elmer's glue-like consistency or even add more water. It does stink more than Klyr-Fire though. And make sure to vent your kiln to about 1000.
rodney

Post by rodney »

Jody Walker wrote:Another possibility is to use Acrylic Gel Medium, if you have some of that around. Mix it with some water to an elmer's glue-like consistency or even add more water. It does stink more than Klyr-Fire though. And make sure to vent your kiln to about 1000.
hey there, im doing a test now on gel medium, did you do a test on 100% gel, or just the gel plus water,,,,,,,,,,,,on the venting at 1000, what does that do, if i lift the lid at 1000 what happens that wouldnt happen if i left it closed, how long do i keep the lid up,,, thanks,,,rodney
Paul Tarlow

Re: Powdered frit and mixing medium

Post by Paul Tarlow »

paulajane wrote:I want to use BE powdered frit mixed with a medium. I am not trying to use it as if it were a paint, but to build it up in designs. I have looked through the archives and have seen many suggestions of mediums to be used with enamels. What would be the best choice for the finely powdered frit?

Thanks a lot.

Paula
It really depends on what you are trying to do. I've used everything from Kylr-fire to glue to hair spray. I've also do a lot without any medium -- just careful placement. They all work....just differently :)

- Paul
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

rodney wrote:hey there, im doing a test now on gel medium, did you do a test on 100% gel, or just the gel plus water,,,,,,,,,,,,on the venting at 1000, what does that do, if i lift the lid at 1000 what happens that wouldnt happen if i left it closed, how long do i keep the lid up,,, thanks,,,rodney
You don't want to just open it 1000 -- you want it cracked open until 1000.

Any time you burn something (glues, fiber paper binders, etc) in your kiln its a good idea to vent so that the airborne particulates can get out of the kiln instead of depositing on your kiln lid and elements. A kiln ventalation system does the same thing.

- Paul
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

Rodney - I do a mixture of gel medium and water. The consistency can be as watery as you'd like, but I try to keep it wetter than elmer's glue consistency. I put some gel medium in a container, then add water, stir. It doesn't even have to be completely mixed up, believe it or not. Then add my frit. Stir around. Voila. If it doesn't stir very well, add some water alittle at a time. It is amazing how easy it is, but not as easy as pouring in Klyr-Fire. Cheaper too! Although the down side is the smell, which is bad, so vent the kiln from the start point through until about 1000. You can check and when the black dissapears, you can close. If you don't vent, the organic material can somehow get into your kiln. It smells. Good luck.