spiked edges, ouch!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

spiked edges, ouch!!

Post by Vickie »

Almost all of my fused pieces have little spikes around the perimeter of the glass when I take it out of the kiln. I file them down, but it doesn't have that nice rolled edge that I want. I usually fuse at 400 to 1450, and hold for 10 min. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Vickie
charlie

Re: spiked edges, ouch!!

Post by charlie »

Vickie wrote:Almost all of my fused pieces have little spikes around the perimeter of the glass when I take it out of the kiln. I file them down, but it doesn't have that nice rolled edge that I want. I usually fuse at 400 to 1450, and hold for 10 min. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Vickie
it's shrinking. either it's 1 layer and you're firing too high, or two layer and you're firing too fast/too high.
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Using thinfire will help deter/prevent the spikes.

...Kelly
jim simmons

Re: spiked edges, ouch!!

Post by jim simmons »

Vickie wrote:Almost all of my fused pieces have little spikes around the perimeter of the glass when I take it out of the kiln. I file them down, but it doesn't have that nice rolled edge that I want. I usually fuse at 400 to 1450, and hold for 10 min. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Vickie
Something else to think about. I would measure the base glasses before firing, to make sure that they add up to 1/4 inch thiclk. I had this exact problem when using Uroboros/Spectrum machine rolled clear with BE glass. I had to add a thin piece of clear to make up the difference, because the Uroboros/Spectrum was about 20% thinner than 1/8 inch.

Good luck
Jim