jewelry findings for fused glass jewelry?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

jewelry findings for fused glass jewelry?

Post by camaro »

I have been searching for findings for my fused glass jewelry, I don't want to wire wrap, I have been looking for what I thought was called a jewelry BAIL, but haven't found the right type. I' looking for bails that you glue your glass on or in like a premade bezel type. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
camaro :?
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Hello Camaro:

Yep, they are called Bails. I have several different types that I use and sell; several jewelry supply companies also sell various types. Do you have a jewelry supply company you deal with? If so look carefully in their catalog. There was someone on eBay selling a nice one too... if you use Precious Metal Clay you can make your own too.... it isn't hard.....and you've got the kiln already <smile>...

Best,
Nancy

PS: you can see info on the bails I have at: http://www.ugotglass.com/findings.htm

I posted an image on the photo section of the board that uses one of the bails so you can see how the disk bail looks.....
Kelly Burke Makuch

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

RioGrande.com

I often purchase items from them. Like them, and good quality as well as variety.

I just started ordering from Halstead Bead --only bead items -but I believe they sell bails in addition to silver and gold items. ---they did not have 1/2 of what i needed and do not back order items--for busy me --this is a bit of a pain.

Kelly Makuch
Kelly Burke Makuch

Bail Photo

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Is it possible to show the reverse side of your piece?
Thanks! Kelly Makuch
Ann Kleckner

Post by Ann Kleckner »

I've used some bell caps from http://www.firemountaingems.com and bent them to fit my pieces. I've also had some luck finding bails at my local rock shop. Thanks for the question...it's given me new options too!
Ann Kleckner
Artglass Delights
Brooklyn, Wisconsin
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I've been using cheap fold-over bails from http://www.firemountaingems.com
on some things. They have a wide variety of cheap findings. For the classier stuff I go with Rio Grande.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Linda Huffman

Post by Linda Huffman »

Check out "Rings & Things", http://www.rings-things.com and the phone # is 1-800-366-2156. They have inexpensive "glue-on drop loops" that you glue your cab onto. (It has a loop for a jump ring to attach to your chain or cord.) I just looked in my most recent catalog and the "white" (silver looking) ones sell for $5.00 a gross. They also sell a "Gluing Disk with Loop" for $5 each and that has a bail attached so you don't have the need for a jump ring. (You just glue your cab onto it.) The company is wonderful to work with........they've always been very helpful to me.

Linda Huffman
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

I'm going to post a few images on the photo section in a minute....

Nancy
Zenovia

Post by Zenovia »

My personal favorites are from:

http://www.austinbluemoon.com/ssilver.html
very pretty!!!
tom suter

Bails

Post by tom suter »

If you check out either Delphi or Glass Crafters in Florida that are selling these bails that are both large and small size. They cost about $12 for 25 they are plated and not sterling silver. I purchase some just to check them out. They have a leaf back pattern that has a small dimple for the glue. Being plated I can not say how long they will last before the plating starts to wear thin. Otherwise, look at paying at least $1 or more per bail if sterling silver. I have gone through rio grande finding and I have not found any that I thought would work. I may have missed it but I have went through their cataloque pretty through. Tom
Vickie

findings

Post by Vickie »

I have found some findings at Delphi Glass, in Lansing MI. You just glue them on to the back, and it looks great! They have a large and small size.
Vickie
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Pendant backs for fused cabs (like those at austin blue moon) are so easy to make for yourself with the minimum of equipment.

Rio Grande sells sterling silver strip that you can can wrap one end around a dowel or other suitable mandrel type item, and cut to length. Make sure you buy the metal softened to make your life easier, and you may want to file the ends for a neater finish there too.

Good luck!

Sadie
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

IF you are up to trying your own, doube half round, bent around a mandrell, leaving a tail, and then solder and then saw between the half rounds will get you a V split bail.

You can also take the flat wire and bend it around a mandrell to form a P and then tumble with stainless steel shot to work harden. You don't have to solder. I would tumble either of these bails.

Susan W
Sonje

Post by Sonje »

Using fine silver bezel and to get a flat back, form a "P" shape, and fuse the tail of it right in the glass. If you want the bail to be centered over the tail, use a mandrel or chain nose pliers to form the bail and the bend the tail so it's centered under the loop. In short, it should look like a lollipop! I like to use a dark glass to cover up the tail, dichro on black looks great!

Sonje