Image of one of my Icon pendants - to show bail....

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

GlassOrchid

Image of one of my Icon pendants - to show bail....

Post by GlassOrchid »

Here it is, I hope!

~Nancy
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Really nice! How did you attach the bail?
Greg
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

I use E6000. Now, lots of folks say they have trouble with E6000 and things coming off but I've used it since 1995 and have only had about 5 pieces come apart (out of 1000's) and that was almost always when I had a new assistant working with me who didn't use enough glue.

My theory is that those who have trouble have read the directions on the tube <smile> .... I stick it on, position it and don't touch it for 24 hours. I also make sure to use enough glue. Yeah, it ain't as pretty as Dymax but you don't have to wear goggles and gloves....

~N
Dani

Post by Dani »

Someone recently recommended Elmers polyurethane glue to me and I just tried it on a kiln-load of inexpensive pins. First you lightly spray the backs with water, then a drop of the glue which is thinner and more controllable than the E6000, then apply pinback. As it cures it sort of expands. I used too much the first go-round and the stuff is impossible to remove. I might have to add some doeskin backs to hide the glue. Has anyone else tried this glue? I can't imagine the glue would ever in a million years fail.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Nancy are you selling those bails?
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
GlassOrchid

Bails by themselves

Post by GlassOrchid »

This is the one used in the pendant shown and is sterling silver.... you can glue either the rough side or the smooth side to your piece (the rough side is shown.)

This one is pewter; looks good, costs less:

Shown is the side you'd see.. the other side has a little hollow in it to cup the glue nicely...

Best,
Nancy
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Barbara:

They are available other places too ......but yes at: http://www.ugotglass.com/findings.htm

The leaf bails are new and come in 2 sizes.

Nan
Kelly Burke Makuch

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Thank you for showing photos of the full bail. Better for the visual thinker---like me. I think these photos better describe their usefulness--though they sure look even better with your glass. Love the bails--I'll be punching in my order in the next day or so.

Thanks again for sharing..... Kelly Makuch
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

They both look about the same from the front but I like the leaf ones better from the back... but they are pewter so if you need sterling for esthetic reasons then they won't do...

~N
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

GlassOrchid wrote:They both look about the same from the front but I like the leaf ones better from the back... but they are pewter so if you need sterling for esthetic reasons then they won't do...

~N
I was thinking that the pewter wouln't tarnish, so kinda liked it over the sterling. I don't do jewelry typically, but was thinking about creating some little charms or small pendants for a group I belong to as gifts.

Can anybody tell me the pro's and con's of the pewter over the sterling?

Girl who lately is dipping her fingers in too many new pots.
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Pewter is less expensive and looks good.

Some people prefer Sterling as it adds a perceived value to the work...
it doesn't tarnish if you wear it <smile> Sterling costs more.

That's about it as far as I can see.....

~N
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

\:D/ gosh Nancy you are SOOOOOOOOO helpful.... thanks so much

Alice De
candala

Elmers polyurethane glue

Post by candala »

Does anyone have positive or negative experiences using this glue to glue on findings? Where do you find this glue?
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

GlassOrchid wrote:Pewter is less expensive and looks good.
Nan, that leaf bail that you say is pewter is described as "nickel plated zinc in silver color" on the ugotglass.com website. Am I confused or is this not the same as pewter?

Susan
quill

Post by quill »

I also understand they are nickle plated zinc. That is what the manufacturer advertises them as.
Ann Demko

bails

Post by Ann Demko »

I used the leaf bail on a pendant and the person that bought it like the look of the bail and wear it as the right side of the piece. Never thought about that! Ann