How does she do it?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lorelei

How does she do it?

Post by Lorelei »

Look at these please and tell me how she's making the ones that look like crumpled up cloth?

http://www.pjewelry.com/ovenfresh.html

Over a mold? Hot manipulation?
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lorelei there is a link on that page for emailing PJ. You could email her and ask her if she will share her secrets with you.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Dani

Post by Dani »

Isn't this our PJ with work in the warmglass gallery?... nice stuff. I like the hearts, too!
Bert Weiss

Re: How does she do it?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lorelei wrote:Look at these please and tell me how she's making the ones that look like crumpled up cloth?

http://www.pjewelry.com/ovenfresh.html

Over a mold? Hot manipulation?
I'll guess and say that they are kiln fused and torch manipulated, then annealed. You have to figure out how to do all that and not kill the dichro. By the time you get a handle on the technique, you will likely have developed your own look.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Vickie

P.J.'s secrets!!

Post by Vickie »

P.J. is great. She will share any info she has with you. I have bugged her numerous times with question's, and she has always answered me. She is a great glass artist, as well as just a "nice gal".
Vickie
Lorelei

PJ and her amazing glass

Post by Lorelei »

I emailed PJ and asked her about the process. She was indeed as kind and generous with her knowledge as you all said she'd be. Thanks for your input everyone.

Goes to show what I always tell my hubby, warm glass people *are* warmer than cold.

Must be all that time bending over hot kilns........

:wink:
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

So, are you going to share what you found out?
Lorelei

Sharing

Post by Lorelei »

Oh my! Of course!

She said that they are really very simple. I'll quote:

"Believe it or not, the oven fresh are stacked up 8 to 12 layers deep, full fused and minipulated in the kiln (with barbeque tools) while at the full temp. Mother nature does the rest. Really, that's all there is. Another excample of "less is more".

She also remarked what a great place this is and that she's having trouble accessing here.

Very nice girl, thank you all for sending me.

I recently took a bracelet class and during it, I asked the "teacher" how fast she would ramp up in a larger kiln. Her reply was " for that you'll have to take my fusing class" Well....... after already paying almost $200 for this damn class, I can tell you I was *less* than amused by that reply. Hence my reluctance to write to PJ. I thought she might just tell me it was a secret. (like this "teacher" did when I asked her about a bracelet she was wearing) *rolls eyes*

Thank the Goddess for the WGB.
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Barbara Muth

Re: Sharing

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lorelei wrote: I recently took a bracelet class and during it, I asked the "teacher" how fast she would ramp up in a larger kiln. Her reply was " for that you'll have to take my fusing class" Well....... after already paying almost $200 for this damn class, I can tell you I was *less* than amused by that reply. Hence my reluctance to write to PJ. I thought she might just tell me it was a secret. (like this "teacher" did when I asked her about a bracelet she was wearing) *rolls eyes*

Thank the Goddess for the WGB.
Lorelei, it is amazing what different people will guard! You can find most any information you need from the board itself, its archives and Brad's wonderful tutorial, not to mention his awesome book. For a teacher not to share information like that amazes me -- it is outside of the experience I have had with any kilnforming instructor I have ever studied with. And most people do share most all of their secrets. I am guessing that it took PJ a lot of work to get to the point where her hot bits are so skillfully manipulated, the right temperature, the right touch.... I am always encouraged by people who share.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Well Barbara, what I really found stupid was, the bracelet she was wearing was nothing more than dichroic strips placed on a wide band. The strips that one can buy pre-cut at the studio we were taking the class at. One of the other girls in the class and I just *looked* at one another, our smiles trying very hard not to break on our faces, our eyes telling the whole story.

I'd *already* spend $300.00 at this same studio the previous year taking the fusing class, so I know the basics, but they were working with an Aim kiln and mine is much larger than that. They offered the Aim at a "sale" price for the students, ($250.00) and as I said before, didn't offer any advice on how to work with anything BUT the Aim.

I came home and ordered the Aim online for $162.00 from my favorite supplier. Shipping was just under $20.00. I *almost* bought it at the studio, but I was SO ticked... I thought.."I'll wait until I get home"

HA!!!
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

I hear so many horror stories about classes people have taken! It's amazing and really very sad. One of the worst was a teacher who had her students grind all the unfired pieces down into perfect circles so they would come out of the kiln round....... hmmmmmm.......

I don't know which is worse.... 'teachers' who covet their knowledge jealously or 'teachers' who are ignorant of the subject matter they are supposed to be teaching.

It's my philosophy that if you're going to take someone's money to teach them something that you don't hold back what you know (and you should actually know the subject but that really should be a given). If you don't want to share then don't teach, it's very simple. There are exceptions of course... there is one thing I don't teach as the technique gives me a competitive edge but that technique isn't even covered in my class...... and I do teach alternate methods of achieving that particular end state if anyone expresses interest and wants to know.....

The go around comes around... lots of folks helped me and are still helping me learn and grow.... it's only right to return the favor to someone else....

This is a subject that sort of ticks me off but I'll be stepping off the soap box now...

~Nancy