borax over irid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

charlie

borax over irid

Post by charlie »

i blasted a pattern into irid. i'm going to fire the glass irid side up, and would like to coat the top to prevent devit. i know i can use spray-a, but would like to have a lead free surface. i've used borax, but not over irid. does it work out ok, or does it make irid be blotchy?

anyone have experience using borax over b.e. irid?

thanks
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Charlie-I've boraxed irid and yes, it does leave it blotchy. It is actually a very interesting look, and boraxing over irid while selectively masking is something I'm going to explore some day. Expect a kind of "spatter ware" effect. Tony
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Charlie,

Don't know about borax, but I don't believe you can use spray-A over irid. I think it ruins the surface.

Phil
paulfjackson

Borax over Irid

Post by paulfjackson »

I coated a piece of Green Irid last night before slumping at 1300. No body was there to tell me not to. Turned out nice and shiney, especially the edge.
Paul F. Jackson
Looking Glass Studio
"What are you looking at?"
Bert Weiss

Re: Borax over Irid

Post by Bert Weiss »

paulfjackson wrote:I coated a piece of Green Irid last night before slumping at 1300. No body was there to tell me not to. Turned out nice and shiney, especially the edge.
Coated with what?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
paulfjackson

Post by paulfjackson »

Coated with BORAX solution. I thaught the original question was "Is it OK ot coat IR Glass with Borax" ?!?
Paul F. Jackson
Looking Glass Studio
"What are you looking at?"